PDA

View Full Version : What would you do (wood gloat)

Billy Dodd
06-15-2008, 8:43 AM
I came across this redwood burl and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is 20 inches long by 9 inches wide and from 4 to 8 1/2 inches thick. Any suggestions.

Terry Quiram
06-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Billy

You could make some pot pourri bowls like the ones Curt is posting. Your burl would also make some nice lidded boxes or small hollow vessels.

Terry

curtis rosche
06-15-2008, 11:28 AM
i think that wood is no good, send it to me

Harvey M. Taylor
06-15-2008, 1:08 PM
I am with Curtis. Who likes wood with crooked grain.We have a disposal site here in Ft. Worth Tx. Send it to me to take care of for you. Great lookming wood, Max.

Steve Schlumpf
06-15-2008, 1:24 PM
I agree with Terry - small hollow forms or potpourri bowls! Very nice looking wood!

Matt Hutchinson
06-15-2008, 2:35 PM
I personally would turn it into a tall hollow form. Of course, it's hard to tell from the pics if this is possible. Beautiful wood! Congrats!

Hutch

Steve Kubien
06-15-2008, 3:18 PM
How about a stunning pepper/saltmill set? Probably have enough left for a couple of mini hollowforms.....

Steve Kubien

robert hainstock
06-15-2008, 4:19 PM
I have a redwood burl 10 in plate that I got In 1971. It recently cracked. Probably too dry. I agree with the vase theory for turning yours, and seal it up better than I did this plate. :):)

Billy Dodd
06-15-2008, 6:52 PM
I've never had a burl this big before. I don't know if it would be a waste to cut it into smaller pieces or leave it into 1 big piece.

Is it a habit of redwood burl to crack years after it's been turned?

curtis rosche
06-15-2008, 9:18 PM
because of cracking potential you should listen to us and just send it to paradise pa, where it will be properly disposed of

Billy Dodd
06-15-2008, 9:32 PM
Curtis, I would think a place like paradise would have an unlimited supply of burl and I would hate to put such filth as this chunk of firewood anywhere near it.

curtis rosche
06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
well it does actually, just that its oak, maple and cherry and apple, oh yeah and i found a wlnut tree that is covered

curtis rosche
06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
isnt redwood one of those trees you can cut off the burl and it will keep growing back? this peice looks dangerous you should send it to us, and wait for the next one

Geoff Hanha
06-16-2008, 2:31 PM
Nice stuff, id cut it up and make some nice boxes, maybe add some nice english box or holly inserts for the lid and some nice ebony finials, the yellow of the box would go nice with what you have. Nice..Whatever you do enjoy and hope you post what you do love to see it finished.. Geoff

David Wilhelm
06-16-2008, 3:18 PM
Billy what does the back side look like?. I'm not crazy about the first one. I see several shapes small bowls or boxes a vase but the 2nd I'm loving. I see pleny with it but it's so hard for me to turn a burl and let it fall to the floor. I was running the saw all over it while looking cutting out pen blanks :). depending on the back side mass and bark (if any I'f work out a bowl or two perhaps a shallow platter to expose and show off the twisted grain. Turn every inch you can!!!