PDA

View Full Version : Box is Done (Sort Of)...

Ed Sallee
06-15-2008, 8:28 AM
Recently finished this box, however I still need to line the drawers....trying to decide for about 3 weeks now. Good thing my nieces birthday isn't until October. Bubinga, Ebony & Tulipwood.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC05468.jpg

Jim Becker
06-15-2008, 9:42 AM
That is a very SHARP looking box!! Wow. Lucky niece!

gary Zimmel
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Ed

Sweet looking box. As Jim said your niece wil be very happy.

i see this is your first post. Welcome to the Creek.....

Ed Sallee
06-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I thought I'd give it a try over here..... Been watchin' you guys and gals for a while....

Phil Thien
06-15-2008, 12:39 PM
That is gorgeous! Did you design that yourself or make it from plans you found somewhere? Any chance of seeing some pics of it open?

Dewey Torres
06-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Nice touch Ed.

Good combination of woods!

Dewey

John Thompson
06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Excellent job, Ed.I had to see what a "sorta finished box" looked like. Looks similar to a finished box from the apperance. :D

Where did you get your choice of species from? And I ask from about 15-20 miles down the road in Lawrenceville where I grew up. I do believe since Arthur Blank moved the Atlanta Falcon's training facility from beautiful, downtown Suwanee, Ga. to Flowery Branch... you guys have been discoverd.

And having grown up in Gwinnett Co. when it was a cotton county to what it is now.. that is not all good IMO. ;)

Again.. very nice work and have a good day, neighbor.

Regards...

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
06-15-2008, 1:17 PM
No, I didn't design, got the plans from a magazine somewhere.... But, I modified for the different colors, especially in the legs.

John - I get my lumber from Atlanta Hardwoods over in Mableton. They have a great selection of exotics, which is how I sort of got in to boxes. They don't use much wood and you can then afford to use the exotics. I picked this combination just by laying wood out that I had and see what I could come up with.... with the exception of the tulipwood.... my niece wanted something pink in it...and that's about as pink as I could find. As far as it being unfinished, it has to do with not showing it open.... I still need to line it.

Happy father's day - ya'all.... I'm pretty sure most of us picked up our craft, whether it be as a hobby or as a professional, from our fathers. Take some time and cut some wood for him today!

Duncan Potter
06-16-2008, 9:57 AM
Line the drawers with pink satin or velvet!

J. Z. Guest
06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Sharp, sharp, sharp, Ed. I just love Ebony. (African or Wenge?)

How is it to work with? I hear it is a bear, dulling tools and whatnot. But what were your impressions? How does it smell when you cut it?

It would be a shame to ruin it with pink lining. I vote to line it with burgundy, black, or dark green, so that she will still love it 50 years from now when she has outgrown pink.

Ed Sallee
06-17-2008, 6:05 AM
I really enjoy working with ebony as well. The ebony on this box is Gabon Ebony...almost entirely black. If you look close you can see some grey grain patterns. I really don't see a problem with it dulling my blades, but then again, I'm not cutting a whole lot of it as it's used mostly for accents. It polishes up almost like a stone.... you can buff it out and it really doesn't need anything else.
As it relates to dulling tools - I think I will find out when I chop in to this piece of Macassar Ebony...
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC04265.jpg

Mark Valsi
06-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Nice,

MORE PICS !!!

Ed Sallee
07-09-2008, 6:32 PM
Well....finally got around to finishing it.... took everybody's advise and did the flocking. My first attempt and it was really quite easy. Thanks to all.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC05567.jpg

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 6:51 PM
Looks great Ed! On the flocking, I am getting ready to do some. I am using some chestnut, stained with Minwax Provincial, so it is a little dark. But I haven't stained the inside of the box. I'm using wine colored flocking and am concerned about the lighter wood showing through the dark flock. Do you see a possible problem with that given your experience?

Ed Sallee
07-09-2008, 7:05 PM
No, not at all. If you are using the products from Suede-Tex that Rockler & Woodcraft carry, then you'll be fine. The adhesive that goes with the flocking matches. It was very much like painting the bottom of the box first and at that point, nothing showed through the adhesive. But, you have to work quickly, as the adhesive begins to set and will not accept the flocking after 10-15 minutes. Make sure you have everything ready to go. I did one piece at a time, but I had three "box stations" set up.

I used a box lined with a plastic bag, set it all up and laid everything out. I taped the top edges of the box and liberally applied the adhesive. Then I removed the tape and then I put it in the box for flocking. I then liberally applied the flocking material as directed. The most difficult part of the process was simply walking away from it and letting it dry for the recommended 10-15 hours. I can see where trying to see your work before it'st time can ruin it. So, be careful about that.

Barry Bruner
07-09-2008, 7:11 PM
Great job, I really like the arched leg and the wood selection, it really stands out. BARRY BRUNER

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 7:11 PM
Thanks Ed. I am using the Suede-Tex products with the wine adhesive. Sounds like it will work. Glad you informed about the drying time. I have 5 boxes, and was going to work through all of them in stages. Sounds like I better do one at a time as suggested. Some good tips. Thanks!

Ed Sallee
07-09-2008, 7:28 PM
You can do one at a time at 5 different "box stations"....just do one completely before moving to the next one. Of course you can do your taping up, if you choose to use tape, before hand. I used three stations because I didn't want to do one, then wait 10-15 hours before I could do another..... Took all of about 45 minutes to do all three pieces, from taping up to walking away. Good luck and drop some pics when you finishe.

Greg Cole
07-09-2008, 7:53 PM
Wow, nice. Eluding to a Greene 'n' Greene style box to my simple mind. But with the cloud lifts being radiused curves.

Well done.

Greg

glenn bradley
07-09-2008, 7:59 PM
You are the rare man who plans ahead. Love the pronounced joinery on the lid corners. I really like the whole thing.

Cary Swoveland
07-14-2008, 1:22 AM
Another beautiful piece, Ed. Cary