PDA

View Full Version : More calls

Bonnie Campbell
06-14-2008, 11:44 PM
My step daughter is getting married the 21st, so I told her part of our wedding gift would be these turkey calls. She wanted 2 for groomsmen and 5 for the ushers. I told her I'd make one for the groom also...

Woods are bacote, zebra and red cedar, strikers are wenge, pecan and osage.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/USHF/WeddingCalls1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/USHF/WeddingCalls2.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Bonnie those are beautiful and will surely be treasured for some time to come. Well done.

Glenn Clabo
06-15-2008, 8:04 AM
Nice work Bonnie...just tell them to be careful. If they all start using them at the wedding...all the moderators on SMC will show up and crash the wedding.

Bruce Pennell
06-15-2008, 8:54 AM
Bonnie very nice what could be better than turkey hunting and remembering a good friends wedding. What great presents for the wedding party. Super job, I'm sure everyone will love them....Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Beautiful work Bonnie! I am sure they will be treasured gifts! Very nice work!

Terry Quiram
06-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Bonnie

Those are very nice and I hope each reciepent has a successful turkey hunt using them. Can you tell me how to make one work?

Terry

Bonnie Campbell
06-15-2008, 1:19 PM
Thanks everyone :)

You make the turkey sounds by holding the striker in the narrow end as you would a pencil. Then you make short straight 'scratches', circular or slow oval movement. Each person gets their own technique for using the striker, but that is the basic way.

Jack Mincey
06-16-2008, 7:57 AM
Bonnie, as always your calls look great. Good luck with the upcoming wedding.
Jack

Jim Becker
06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I bet they will gobble those up... :D

Very nice!

curtis rosche
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
very nice. show one of the little kids at the wedding how to use it and then get them to do it during the ceremony, that would be kinda funny:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:)

Doug Miller
06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
did you say this is a shot gun wedding?

Geoff Hanha
06-16-2008, 2:26 PM
Bonnie hi all i can say is that they look well turned and nice wood, but im at a lose as know idea what how to use them. I am from the UK and the turkeys are genrally in the supermarket.
The sounds that they make/ or what i have heard, im not sure who these would make that sort of noise, you say you strike the item, it seams more like a drum. How are they made/what off apart from the wood. interested baffled, need some inlighte:confused:nment.. Im no Turkey just a Brit..Geoff:D

Jim Underwood
06-16-2008, 5:25 PM
Hmmmm...

Are those widgets supposed to attract the folks who are in the picture? :confused: ;)

Nice job on those things!

Terry Achey
06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Nice calls Bonnie! Interesting large port design on the bottoms side.

Geoff, the calls are generally made from hardwoods. The grey section is a thin slab of slate about 3" to 3.5" across and about 1/8" with deep-mined Pennsylvania slate being the preferred source. The slate is typically glued into a recess on top. The striker is often made of hickory, or some other hardwood. The user holds the striker near the tip much like a pencil and scribes an oval shape pattern near the outer edge of the call. This pattern is used to make a turkey "yelp" sound. Other patterns and various pressures of the striker on the slate can imitate just about every turkey sound (clucks, yelps, purrs, cackle, putts, and more) with the exception of the gobble of a tom turkey. It's a very effective call for both fall hunting and spring gobbler hunting. There are also many other popular types and styles of friction calls as well as mouth calls. However, pot style calls such as Bonnies are one of the most popular across the USA. Hopes this helps.

Terry

Geoff Hanha
06-17-2008, 6:48 AM
Geoff, the calls are generally made from hardwoods. The grey section is a thin slab of slate about 3" to 3.5" across and about 1/8" with deep-mined Pennsylvania slate being the preferred source. The slate is typically glued into a recess on top. The striker is often made of hickory, or some other hardwood. The user holds the striker near the tip much like a pencil and scribes an oval shape pattern near the outer edge of the call. This pattern is used to make a turkey "yelp" sound. Other patterns and various pressures of the striker on the slate can imitate just about every turkey sound (clucks, yelps, purrs, cackle, putts, and more) with the exception of the gobble of a tom turkey. It's a very effective call for both fall hunting and spring gobbler hunting. There are also many other popular types and styles of friction calls as well as mouth calls. However, pot style calls such as Bonnies are one of the most popular across the USA. Hopes this helps.

Terry[/quote]

Thanks Terry bit of a funny to get your head around not seeing them before, well have seen one befor but was still confused, the gobble sound yes and the mouth type calls like a duck call i can understand, did not know that they made any other type of noise. turkey on a plate is about all we see, there are turkey farms here in the UK but no hunting, :rolleyes:maybe the odd poacher. Interesting piece thanks for the info..geoff

robert hainstock
06-17-2008, 9:50 AM
Very nice work Bonnie. Gotta love those woods to work wit. :):)
Bob

Bonnie Campbell
06-17-2008, 9:53 AM
I really do enjoy making the turkey calls. I haven't been able to hunt the past couple years, so my turkeys come from the grocery store too :o But it's always fun hearing that someone harvested a turkey with one of my calls :D