PDA

View Full Version : compressor stuff

Vince Shriver
06-14-2008, 3:55 PM
I'm planning to get an air compressor (Quincy, Igersol Rand, or Maxus), 20 to 60 gal tank. I want to suspend a hose reel on the ceiling so as to make air available anywhere in the garage with no hassels. I'll be using it for nailers, vaccuum clamping, possibly a screwdriver and sander if it has enough CFM. Aside from keeping oil in it and draining the tank of any water - what else do I need to do? And what do I need to get that doesn't usually come with the unit? Thanks.

Reed Wells
06-14-2008, 5:41 PM
Vince, just a comment on a hose reel. Do not scimp on a ceiling mount self return reel. When I first started I purchaced a HF reel. The spring was not heavy enough to return on every try. It was very frustrating to have to stand under it and jerk on it a few times to make it return. If it were me I would opt for a wall mount hand reel. I have two in my shop. By the way they are both HF and work great.

jerry feagley
06-14-2008, 5:58 PM
Vince, i would also get a air dryer/filter to remove condesation out of the line.

David Freed
06-14-2008, 6:15 PM
A spring loaded drain valve with attached pull rope makes draining the tank very easy and convenient. I got mine at the store where I get my truck parts. Lots of people (including me) put them on trucks so you don't have to crawl under the truck to drain the air tanks. They might be available at other stores.

Tom Veatch
06-14-2008, 7:31 PM
... what else do I need to do? ...

Run your lines on a slope so that condensation in the lines will drain to a low point. Install a drain valve at that point and on each drop/low point where condensation can collect.

And what do I need to get that doesn't usually come with the unit?

The trite answer is "everything", but air hoses, quick disconnects, and at least one regulator for sure and maybe more depending on how you plan to use the air.

One regulator at the tank will work for a single pressure throughout the system, but a regulator at each drop is much more convenient (and costly).

You'll need quick disconnect adapters on each tool that doesn't come with one already installed.

I'd encourage you to not skimp on hoses. I've got a collection of less-expensive PVC hoses that I hate. Almost rather do without before buying another one of those.

If you get a larger, non-portable unit, I'd recommend using vibration damper/isolators at your tie down points.