PDA

View Full Version : Bosch router bits

Tom Henderson2
06-14-2008, 3:36 PM
What is the list experience with Bosch router bits?

Just wondering how they compare to other brands. I can get them conveniently nearby (blue borg) whereas the others mean mailorder.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

glenn bradley
06-14-2008, 3:45 PM
I've looked at them too. But when you can get free shipping on Whiteside bits from Holbren, plus a 10% discount for being an SMC member, why bother. Creeker's on the west coast like us actually get Whitesides cheaper coming out of Florida than we can get them at the local Woodcraft.

Jack Camillo
06-14-2008, 6:22 PM
I just had a bad experience with a bosch bit last week. Maybe it wasn't the bit, but the application. I was doing a pattern on 2x6's for the ends of stringers on a pergola. However, the bosch's burned and gave a crappy cut...
So, I went ahead and ordered the whiteside from holbren even though it stopped the job. Took two business days by us mail (ordered on Sat, arrived tues). OUTSTANDING bit - double fluted, solid carbide, upcut template spriral straight cutting bit. What an awesome cut!
I had tried the double fluted straight (non-spiral) bit from bosch and it sucked from the first cut. Brought it back, no problem.
I didn't know the discount code for SMC, but Brian (I think) gave me the discount when I explained I was a contributer in the comments field. Yeah, holbren!

Greg Hines, MD
06-14-2008, 6:42 PM
I have a couple of Bosch bits, and I haven't had any trouble with them. One of them is a 4" long, 1/2" straight bit that I use for jointing on the router table, and I have yet to find another bit that long at Woodcraft. I forget which Borg I got it at, I would guess the blue one.

Doc

scott spencer
06-14-2008, 7:52 PM
I've never tried one because they always seem so expensive. FWW rated Bosch bits "good" compared to "excellent" for Whiteside, Infinity, Eagle, and Lee Valley.

Tom Henderson2
06-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'll confess I wasn't aware of the Holbren discount so thanks for the heads-up. My biggest problem is that I'm a poor planner... so often find that I don't have the bit I need when I need it. So off to the blue borg I go.

Time to start planning ahead!

-TH

jack duren
06-15-2008, 12:53 AM
You get what you pay for. Sometimes a few pennys doesnt make a difference but unless you know and understand the quality of the carbide you really wont get quality answers. I just buy Amana when possible...