PDA

View Full Version : A question of how much it is worth

curtis rosche
06-14-2008, 12:09 PM
A you guys (and ladies) know i have been trying to trade wood for a lathe and such, and i just recently found a lathe to get and i am going to trade for it but when going over what was to be traded, i though about what the acutal burls are worth. i have no clue how much they are acutaly worth and i was wondering if you could help try to figure out what they might be worth. you have seen the 2 bowls i have done so far from the spaulted cherry burls, and the bowl from the apple burl, what do you thing the wood is worth? the reason i ask is that when going over specifics the guy asked for 2-3 apple burls and said he would look at the cherry burls, he was only asking 50$ for the lathe to begin with, and i dont want to be ripped off.

Al Wasser
06-14-2008, 2:44 PM
Take a look at Ebay or one of the catalogs (craft supply)to see what bowl blank prices are. Then adjust from there depending on the quality/rarity of the wood. Most blanks, say 3" x 6" x 6" are worth $5-10 bucks, stuff with great figure is much higher.

curtis rosche
06-14-2008, 3:52 PM
well but see, these are extremly spaulted cherry burls, and i havent seen a price for those, and i have never seen any apple burls anywhere

Gary Herrmann
06-14-2008, 4:31 PM
That's true, Curtis. But without a lathe, all you have are nice looking chunks of wood. Keep looking around if you prefer, but don't get too wrapped up in how much the burls are worth. Ultimately, worth is based on what the buyer is willing to pay.

curtis rosche
06-14-2008, 4:40 PM
ok. i guess i will give him some then, i will give him more plain peices though since he is just going to use them to let scouts learn to use a lathe with

Scott Donley
06-14-2008, 7:25 PM
ok. i guess i will give him some then, i will give him more plain peices though since he is just going to use them to let scouts learn to use a lathe withAn old saying Curtis, "What goes around comes around" give it some thought. Sounds like a deal you should jump on rather then taking the time to figure out how you can best him. Your burls are worth what you can sell them for, so if your worried about the trade, sell the burls and give him 50 bucks Problem solved. IMHO

curtis rosche
06-14-2008, 8:27 PM
well, what do you want to pay for one plus shipping?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2008, 8:50 PM
Uh....Curtis......if you are going to sell stuff...you need to take it to the Classifieds...........

curtis rosche
06-14-2008, 9:15 PM
no im not actually selling ken,

robert hainstock
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Look at forest products websites to get an idea of the value of your wood. seePM.
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Shoot Curtis just give him 3 apple burls and a couple of cherry burls. If he accepts you got yourself a lathe. Otherwise you have wood laying around you can't do anything with. I wouldn't get caught up in how much especially if you got them free. Ya need a lathe.

George Guadiane
06-15-2008, 6:08 AM
Shoot Curtis just give him 3 apple burls and a couple of cherry burls. If he accepts you got yourself a lathe. Otherwise you have wood laying around you can't do anything with. I wouldn't get caught up in how much especially if you got them free. Ya need a lathe.
I would add that since you don't have money, and can't buy as lathe, all but one of the burls you have on hand isn't too much, especially since you can go and get more...
Money, a lathe, seem to be harder for you to come by than the wood. What is the worst thing that happens if the guy with the lathe gets a good deal???

Steve Trauthwein
06-15-2008, 7:00 AM
Curtis,

Another thing to consider is how much you actually have in the wood. If it is nothing then you are getting the lathe for nothing. I think I would give him some plain wood also and try to get him to hold on to the burls until someone has some facility.

Regards, Steve

Geoff Hanha
06-15-2008, 9:49 AM

ALL THERE IS TO IT. Enough said well on Bernie could not have said it better. Geoff
How many pages of step dad says 10% want a lathe now you have the chance, you dont wana get ripped of, you can only sell if someone wants to buy the wood, you said 50 for the lathe if you are happy at that then sell some wood get the 50 to him or just give him the wood he wants, its what you are happy to give him for it, not the cost or price the wood is worht/can be sold for. You mess around and the guy will have sold it. All the best..geoff

curtis rosche
06-15-2008, 11:25 AM
i will trade them, i just wanted to get your opinions.

David Wilhelm
06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Curtis.
There are a lot of ways in the turning field where a fellow can turn a profit with or without a lathe. The thing is you can't alwas shoot for the moon. I've seen blanks sealed and ready to ship bring more on ebay than the item most average turners would make out of those blanks. I point to a truck load of Cherry burls produced to a meeting of above and average turners. The asking price was 400.00 and no takers. Had then truck load been in Arizona and sold piece by piece they may have got 2 grand. I wont buy wood I have all I can turn in a life time. Those of us who are on land coverd with trees do not know how lucky we are. I have friends offering me wood all the time and I turn most of it down. YOu made a great score. You have your time and a small investment in it. If you do not have the means to work it up in presentable blanks for shipping, if you do not have a lathe to turn it on. Then All you have is fire wood. You can seal it and store it untill something else comes along but if this lathe is "the" one then barter a deal with the guy and remember that the burls you trade him may be the ones that if you kept them may be the ones that flew off and ended up in the floor in a pile. Not every burl is a bowl I don't care how good you are. Christmas is aroudn the corner. If this lathe doesn't have a slow RPM then it's not the big bowl lathe of choice. You can how ever make sellers with it like ornaments, pens, small bowls, smaller projects, higher volumn and upgrade. Work with your step dad. Tell him you want him to be your partner. No I in team and drop the drama. He has rules as you've stated live by them. Respect him and you will earn respect in return.

curtis rosche
06-15-2008, 4:01 PM
this lathe is a small one, so i will use it and still keep looking for a big one. i guess it doesnt matter how many i give him, with out the lathe they just sit there anyways