PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Cherry

Dave Tinley
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I know there always seems to be posts on finishing cherry, but I did a search and couldnt find any threads like this.

I have some really nice quilted cherry veneer that I plan on using in some frame and panel doors. Now normally when I build something out of cherry, after it is all assembled I put it out in the sun for about a week then apply a varnish or lacquer top coat.
But in this case, I would like to make the quilted cherry pop, so I am thinking of using my "witches brew' formula.
My question is, should I apply the WB then set it out in the sun?
Or should I follow my standard procedure and set it in the sun, then apply the WB ?

Or does it really matter?

Thanks
Dave

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
My experience is that the sun deepens the color faster if at least one coat of oil-based finish is on the wood. I'm not sure if the finish is changing color too, or if it somehow helps the sunlight penetrate the wood.

Steve Schoene
06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
You will get the maximum "pop" if your first coat is BLO, which would give slightly (it would be subtle) more life than a mix of oil and varnish, which is what I assume your "WB" is. Putting one well wiped coat of BLO before tanning probably is a good idea.

Be careful tanning to let the piece get sun on all surfaces, and also to not let it really bake in heat for extended periods--that could dry out panels and create potential warping problems. This may mean a lot of moving of pieces, but it could be worth it.