PDA

View Full Version : Stupid is as Stupid does...

Greg Cuetara
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I finally got some time in the shop tonight to turn a few pens for my father and father-in-law for fathers day this weekend. I got one pen turned and turned a pencil for my father. Well...I was in a rush and forgot to put the clip onto the pencil. I guess it is ok as is right now but would look better with the clip.

Is there anyway to take apart a slimline pencil kit or at least take the end off to get the clip back on? I know they make a pen kit to take apart pens but would that work with the pencil kits also or am I just SOL?

Thanks for any help.
Greg

Greg Ketell
06-14-2008, 12:07 AM
If you happen to have a Harbor Freight Transfer punch set then it is pretty easy. Just pull the cap off the pen and slide a punch up through the barrel until it hits the top. A few taps with a hammer and it pops out. Put the clip in place and you are done.

If you don't have the transfer punch set you should be able to do it with one of your mandrels. Slide it into the tube from the middle section and tap on the morse taper with a hammer.

GK

Curt Fuller
06-14-2008, 12:30 AM
You're not the only person to ever make that mistake. Check this out...
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Disassembly_Tools.htm

Greg Ketell
06-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Seriously, if you want to buy something to disassemble pens, you can buy each of those tools for $15 and up or you can buy one Harbor Freight Transfer Punch Kit for $7.99 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577) and it will disassemble every pen except those that have outer rings like the Olympia.

GK

robert hainstock
06-14-2008, 8:43 AM
Looking at the assembly instructions for the PENCIL, I see no easy way to remove the cap end to place,or replace the clip. If you have a long, (4in 1/8" punch you might try to remove the pencil mech, punch out the pointed end, and then work backwards up thru the unit. As every thing in a slimline pencil is press fitted, it won't be easy. I would appreciate a PM if you find a way, as I need to change the clip on a pencil myself. :eek::):)
Bob

Greg Cuetara
06-14-2008, 9:06 AM
Bob Thanks for the try. Yes it is a pencil so not sure a regular disassembly tool will work. Since it is a pencil maybe the clip is not a big deal...or at least I can tell myself that.
Enjoy your weekend.
Greg