PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi P12RA

Josh Mountain
06-13-2008, 9:17 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this product? I've seen some decent reviews. While I'd like to get at least an 8 inch floor standing Jointer, this seems like a good transition to get started. There is a used one for $750 and it seems to perform decent as a 12 inch thickness planer.

With a small shop maybe it would do the trick? Thoughts concerns? I'm a hobbyist just getting started.

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Just read everything here about not getting a 6" jointer. I didn't listen. Lost money when I sold the 6" I bought (like the guy selling the Hitachi is losing) so I could buy an 8". Happy (but poorer) now.

Josh Mountain
06-14-2008, 1:28 AM
So his loss is my gain?

Either I can use this product and maybe get a bandsaw or just get a quality 8" jointer and still no planer?? Hmmmmm.

Bob Aquino
06-14-2008, 9:14 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this product? I've seen some decent reviews. While I'd like to get at least an 8 inch floor standing Jointer, this seems like a good transition to get started. There is a used one for $750 and it seems to perform decent as a 12 inch thickness planer.

With a small shop maybe it would do the trick? Thoughts concerns? I'm a hobbyist just getting started.

I used a 6" Delta jointer and 12" planer for quite a while. Just finished up a refurb on a Makita combo machine about a month ago. It takes up about the same amount of space as the delta jointer did, but gives me instant access to the planer without any more space. If you are in a tight space it is the way to go. Not sure if the price is great or not, really depends on the condition of the machine. New I think these went for 2 grand or better. Quality of manufacturing is top notch. They fall between full size machines and portable machines in terms of how much material they can hog off in one pass.

Amazon has 2 sellers offering this machine, its been out of production for a few years now. You can read some opinions here: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0000223K2/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Here is a pic of my machine for comparison:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/aquino.bob/SDzRwI65hFI/AAAAAAAACvk/Ds63BKHqBFc/s800/P1030112.JPG