PDA

View Full Version : CI Table Saw Router Wing Choices?

Ted Torres
06-13-2008, 4:09 PM
I'm looking to replace my left cast iron wing on my CM 22124 cabinet saw with a CI Router Table. I need to mount my DW625 (Router Razor already installed) for raised panel work. I'm looking at these two CI accessory products and wondering in your experience\knowledge, which might be best. They are very similar in price, features and size, but one has an Al. router plate choice (MCLS) vs. a phenolic plate (BD).

Towards the bottom of the page is the MLCS XCI (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/router_table4.html), and here is the Bench Dog Promax 40-031 (http://www.benchdog.com/promax.cfm).

Are there any other good CI products within the same price range that I should consider? Any input would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Thanks,

Ted

p.s. GEAUX TIGERS!

Michael Roland
06-13-2008, 8:22 PM
You can get the Bench Dog plate in aluminum at Amazon ($90) and I think that woodpeckers makes aluminum plates that will work in the BD extension.

I was considering the same two table extension and went with the BD setup. However I did end up going for the top stand, end cap and lift.

If you think you might ever go stand alone I think you should strongly consider the BD table.

Jim Becker
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I have the Bench Dog wing and love it. (Using it in a non-standard way since I have a slider)

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd go BD and get the aluminum plate. MLCS seems to be slipping in the QA area as of late. JMHO.

Bruce Page
06-14-2008, 1:01 AM
I have the BD mounted on my unisaw, it is very well made with excellent fit & finish. That said, the MLCS looks identical to the BD right down to the router fence.
The pricing is comparable, so in MHO, it comes down to who you feel more comfortable purchasing from.
I have never heard any complaints on BD stuff. I don’t have a clue about MLCS.

Ted Torres
06-14-2008, 8:43 AM
For all of the great suggestions and info! The BD does have a life-time warranty and their al. plate is 3\8", not 1\4" like the MCLS.

Wonder if I can get the BD 40-031 ext. table with the al. plate (40-017) Instead of the phenolic plate?

Ted

Michael Roland
06-14-2008, 11:08 AM
One more point..

Go to the MLCS site and the BD site and download the two installation manuals. The MLCS levels the plate with just 4 screws while the Bench Dog uses 12. Also the MLS table doesn't appear to have the double slots for mounting the fence to use both the wide and the narrow sides of the table (the plate hole is offset) not a big deal when this is mounted as an extension wing but nice if you go standalone.

Bruce Page
06-14-2008, 1:09 PM
One more point..

Go to the MLCS site and the BD site and download the two installation manuals. The MLCS levels the plate with just 4 screws while the Bench Dog uses 12. Also the MLS table doesn't appear to have the double slots for mounting the fence to use both the wide and the narrow sides of the table (the plate hole is offset) not a big deal when this is mounted as an extension wing but nice if you go standalone.
Good point.
The older BD tables had only 1 pair of slots, the second pair is a recent improvement to their product.

Ted Torres
06-14-2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks for calling attention to those nicer features, Michael! Even if the "BD + aluminum plate" will cost a little more than the "MLCS + aluminum plate", it looks to be better quality with nicer features overall and excellent CS. :)

I'll call BD Monday to see if they can substitute the 3\8" al. plate for the phenolic one. ;)

Thanks for posting that pic, Bruce...your TS setup looks really nice!

Ted