PDA

View Full Version : Termites.

Tony Sade
04-14-2004, 8:32 PM
Discovered the little buggers in my rim joist last year. Caught them early, spent $1500 having them taken care of with the Sentricon system (bait sticks in the green tubes placed around the perimeter of the house), and no sign of them in the last several inspections before the frost and the first of the spring. I figured out what I think was their mode of entry-a piece of trim that was touching the ground which I never noticed.

It's time to decide whether to reenlist and spend another $265. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea, or just a way for the company to separate me from some cash. I assume the pests occur in the soil everywhere and are likely to be found in bait traps which are designed to attract them. Duh! Am I likely to experience another infestation just because I was hit once, and considering that the entry point has been eliminated?

I'd rather spend the dough on some nice cherry I hear can be had in the neighborhood. I would sure appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

Ed Falis
04-14-2004, 9:55 PM
I really can't speak from much knowledge here, but you're one treatment in at this point. I'd be inclined (from superstition if nothing else) to pay for the extra treatment the first spring.

- Ed

Carl Eyman
04-14-2004, 9:57 PM
I think our termites can lick your termites. Ours have all year to train and practice. We (in our 20 yr old condo) were getting hit pretty regularly and the pest control people were weasling out of their responsibilities very expertly. Then we put in this bait system and have been free of trouble. But we have had to make sure the company makes regular visits, advises us of what they are doing and why, and we have to note any laxity on their part. After they put the bait system in it was about 6 months before they inspected it. They claimed they were doing so, but when they did show upand we accompanied them on the inspection, they couldn't even find the bait stations. Keep vigilant. There is more effective wau to steal without fear of being caught than termite control - in my opinion. With vigilance I think the service is worth it.

Rob Bourgeois
04-14-2004, 11:46 PM
If you sign up for a service make sure it comes with some sort of rebuild payment by the company if your attacked again. A friend didnt and even thoguht he thought he was protected, he had to pay for the complete repairs on top of the poison service.

They do sell the DIY kit that run a $100 or so. Saw them at Lowes/HD. No experience with them. But they are pegs that you put in the ground sorta like the fertilizer spikes.

Carl you should worry about the little buggers, down there in Thibodeaux. I mean in a few months the ground is going to be filled with red ants or flooded by the tropical storms. Boy I miss summers back home... :rolleyes:

Arvin Brown
04-15-2004, 3:05 PM
If you ever want to sell your home I would keep up the contract. Sounds like $265 a year is awfully steep. You have to disclose to the new buyer that the home once had termites. If the buyer sees that you have had a contract and inspections every year it would put them at ease. Otherwise - I wouldn't buy the home.