PDA

View Full Version : Caliper for MicroFence

Craig Mitchell
06-13-2008, 1:24 PM
I recently picked up a MicroFence router guide and was wondering what would be a good choice (functionality, price, etc )for a caliper to use with it. Thanks!

Greg Hines, MD
06-13-2008, 1:37 PM
Woodcraft sells a fractional dial caliper, unlike the metric calipers that are around. They go on sale from time to time (and happen to be on sale right now for $30), here:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4440

I have one and it is very easy to make your measurements without having to convert metric to imperial, then back again.

Doc

Mark Carlson
06-13-2008, 2:24 PM
Craig,

The scale on the microfence is in thousandths of an inch so get a dial caliper that measures in thousandths of an inch. The microfence website has a couple for sale. You can get similar models from woodcraft and rockler.

The fractional caliper that Greg mentions is very good and I would get that one too for general use.

~mark

Doug Shepard
06-13-2008, 2:34 PM
I got the one at LV but the 6" one that's no longer listed. They have a 4" equivalent model though.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46287&cat=1,43513

Jacob Reverb
06-13-2008, 3:07 PM
I just bought the $30 caliper Greg referenced...very nice.

Orlando Gonzalez
06-13-2008, 3:29 PM
Craig,

I also have the MF and it depends on what level of accuracy that you want. If you desire a high level of accuracy then I would suggest a Starrett, Mitutoyo, or Ektalon (there are more that I didn't include). However, expect to pay anywhere from $90-$150 for these high end calipers. If you don't require a high lelvel of accuracy then any Asian caliper will suffice including the ones from Harbor Freight. The ones that have been suggested to you will also give accurate measurements but not at the level of a Starrett, Mitutyo, or Ektalon. I guess it depends on what you want. I personnally use Starretts and Mitutoyos for precision and Asian ones for rough measurements when precision is not that critical. This is just the way I do it and it is not necessarily right or wrong.

HTH

Orlando

Craig Mitchell
06-13-2008, 3:32 PM
Thanks. Any thoughts of Digital vs Dial readouts? Same level of accuracy with digital?

Orlando Gonzalez
06-13-2008, 3:44 PM
Most digitals will give you a reading down to .0005 while some dials will give you that same level,the majority that are used measure to .001. Digitals allow you to switch between decimal amd millimeter, are easier on the eyes, and have an easier zero reset function. As for accuracy, it depends on what you get - the elctronics package in a Honda or the elctronics package in an Indy race car - both will do the job they were designed for.