PDA

View Full Version : Dadoing inside of an Arch??

Mark Vaughn
06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know how to go about dadoing on the concave side of an arch? below is a link to what I'm actually wondering about...

http://www.crosscustomworks.com/CCW_Store/images/gates&architectural/garden_gates/wood_gates/pacificgateworks&amish/teak%20015.jpg

scott spencer
06-13-2008, 1:05 PM
Hi Mark - I did something similar on my daughter's hope chest last summer. I cut the dado to the max depth for the center boards before cutting the arch, and just left the outside boards at the same length as the inside boards. It require a fairly deep cut, but managed to gang 3 identical 10" 24T rippers to do it. Don't know if this is the best method but it worked for me.

Michael Weber
06-13-2008, 1:07 PM
I may be misunderstanding what you want to do. But if it's putting a slot on the edge of the top arch for the slats or panel to fit into, I'd use a slot cutter with a pilot bearing on a router, in a table or freehand.

Mark Vaughn
06-13-2008, 1:13 PM
slot cutter... good idea, never used one, can it be used on a normal router? thanks for the idea

Dewey Torres
06-13-2008, 1:13 PM
http://pricecutter.com/10-piece-slot-cutter-and-dado-value-set/p/P19-2601/

One of these with a bearing to ride the edge.

Dewey

Mark Vaughn
06-13-2008, 1:14 PM
exactly what i was looking for thanks for the help guys!

i thought about doing it your way scott but for the arch i'm doing it would have been too deep of a cut.

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 1:22 PM
Slot cutter on a router table.

Greg Hines, MD
06-13-2008, 1:33 PM
Most slot cutters will accept different bearings to control the depth of the cut, so you can customize it as you need to. Some are also stackable so you can adjust the width of the dado, or you can make multiple passes from both sides of the workpiece. Just make sure that you have good bearing surface for the bearing to ride against.

Doc

David DeCristoforo
06-13-2008, 1:45 PM
Router table or shaper. Can do "freehand" but with the cutter buried in the wood, any "wrong" movement (i.e. lifting or tilting of the router base) however slight can cause all hell to break loose!