PDA

View Full Version : Templet Guides for Bosch 1617EVS

Doug Arndt
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I have the Bosch 1617EVS router, and decided to invest in the templet guide kit. However, after reading various reviews at amazon, the general feeling is, don't, the Bosch quality didn't make it into the templet guides.
Most commented on just using the RA1100 adaptor to use PC bushings.

Since the adaptor is available separately, is that a good way to go, or just get a new base plate that accepts PC ? (PR010)

Is the Bosch centering cone (RA1150) still functional if using the adaptor or new base with PC bushings ?

I have no experience with templet guides or bushings, so starting from scratch. Comments ?

Anthony Whitesell
06-13-2008, 12:33 PM
The centering cone will be useful for any guide bushing on any router not just the Bosch. One piece of advice, I found the centering cone works best on the tapered edge not the outside diameter (ie. center the base using a bushing that the cone fits over not inside of)

Having the 1617EVSPK and the RA1100 adapter I can safely say that it's personal preference. So how much effort do you want to put into mounting a new base versus buying the adapter and slapping it in and having another tool-piece in the shop.

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 1:32 PM
For my Bosch (different model) I ordered a Pat Warner base and use PC guides.

Rob Hough
06-13-2008, 1:51 PM
I bought an adapter for mine that allows me to use "standard" guides. I don't know the part number, so maybe you're already talking about that. :)

fred woltersdorf
06-13-2008, 2:27 PM
For my Bosch (different model) I ordered a Pat Warner base and use PC guides.

i second the pat warner base. i put one on my bosch 1617 and it accepts standard bushings.

Doug Arndt
06-13-2008, 3:21 PM
I see no one has suggested staying with the Bosch kit, more confirmation.

Rob, is your adaptor the Bosch one ? RA1100

I see at MLCS a brass templet kit, says it works with a 1 3/16 center hole, is that what the RA1100 adaptor then provides ?

Any other templet kit suggestions ?

I'll also have to take a look at Pat's base as an option too.

Thanks for the replies.

Spencer Hochstetler
06-13-2008, 4:02 PM
I find that the Bosch guides work fine. When I have a standard base, it's on. When I have my offset base from Pat Warner on, the PC guides are used to a similar degree of adequacy. i.e. I have all permutations of guides for this router and I don't find myself wanting the other type when one type is being used. That said, I don't use guides frequently...

Peter Quinn
06-13-2008, 7:14 PM
I have the 1617V and both the bosch guides (were included in the package) and the adaptor for the pc guides. They both work fine. I use the PC brass guides more for no particular reason, perhaps they are in a drawer that is more convenient?

As stated above the centering cone is universal and nearly essential for bushing guides. My router came perfectly centered but it has been mounted to lots of different shop made bases, and each time you put the base plate back on you must center it before using bushing guides again.

I'd really rather have a second base with the PC guides in a dedicated after market base plate, but I only think of it when I'm re-centering my base plate!:D

If I had to buy them, I'd get the PC guides so you can use them in other routers, because no one else is likely to adopt the Bosch standard. Routers are a minor addiction for many, may as well prepare for that now!

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I see no one has suggested staying with the Bosch kit, more confirmation.

Rob, is your adaptor the Bosch one ? RA1100

I see at MLCS a brass templet kit, says it works with a 1 3/16 center hole, is that what the RA1100 adaptor then provides ?

Any other templet kit suggestions ?

I'll also have to take a look at Pat's base as an option too.

Thanks for the replies.

1 3/16 is the PC size. Bosch is different. Either should work but the decision is like choosing your t-track size. If you go with 1/4" t-bolts, stay with it and everything fits. If you buy a different brand router as your next tool, the Bosch guides don't fit. Not a bad thing, just a consideration for versatility.

Rob Hough
06-14-2008, 12:36 AM
I checked the package (amazed I still had it) and yes... I have the RA1100. I bought an aftermarket base for my router and it didn't fit. So I went back and the shop suggested the RA1100. I haven't had a problem with it thus far, but I'll admit that my experience is limited though.

I kept the base I bought as well (though it doesn't fit). I'm guessing it will fit on the PC router I'm looking at.

Dave Mower
06-14-2008, 7:33 AM
I have a 1617 and that Bosch template guide kit has worked fine for me. I always use the centering cone when changing baseplates. My experience is fairly limited as well.

Jason White
06-14-2008, 8:01 AM
I have this router. I bought the Pat Warner sub-bases with centering cone kit and just use PC bushings.

Jason

I have the Bosch 1617EVS router, and decided to invest in the templet guide kit. However, after reading various reviews at amazon, the general feeling is, don't, the Bosch quality didn't make it into the templet guides.
Most commented on just using the RA1100 adaptor to use PC bushings.

Since the adaptor is available separately, is that a good way to go, or just get a new base plate that accepts PC ? (PR010)

Is the Bosch centering cone (RA1150) still functional if using the adaptor or new base with PC bushings ?

I have no experience with templet guides or bushings, so starting from scratch. Comments ?