PDA

View Full Version : jet mini's

Scott Stefanoski
04-14-2004, 7:09 PM
folks,
i have seen quite a few posts about the availablity of jet minis lately. i received an email from woodcrat and this weekend they are having a 10% off sale on all jet tools. they had the jet minis listed which makes me think they may have a few for sale.
hope that helps...
scott

Dale Thompson
04-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Scott,

I know that a lot of folks on this board think that I am lazy because I don't want to change belts on a lathe. :( On the other hand, If a given lathe is available in "variable speed", I would certainly recommend that approach. Also, check prices on the "net". 10% off doesn't necessarily mean that it is a "good" price although I have a lot of respect for Woodcraft. I've got the Jet mini VS. It's a VERY nice machine and fun to use. Good luck on your purchase!! :)

Dale T.

Shawn Oberdorf
04-15-2004, 6:28 AM
You still have to mess with the belt with the jet vs mini don't you?

Shawn

Dale Thompson
04-15-2004, 9:26 PM
You still have to mess with the belt with the jet vs mini don't you?

Shawn

Shawn,
Sort of. If you go from turning pens to turning the largest, heaviest bowl blanks that the lathe can handle, you may wish to change speed ranges. I've only had my VS mini for a few months but I have never changed the belt. I've got it on "high". As a reference, I've had my PM 3520 for over five years. It also has a "high" and a "low" range". I've "swung" everything from pens to 20" x 3" Oak blanks for ships wheel clocks. I have NEVER had the lathe in "low" gear. If I were to turn a 48" bowl or platter off the tailstock end, I would probably shift the belt to "low". That probably won't happen because I can't afford that much wood. ;)

Greg Heppeard
04-16-2004, 8:52 AM
The old style mini lathe is still in short supply...a few trickled in last week at Woodcraft, but I'm sure they will go quickly. The new style seems to have shipped on a pretty regular basis...this is due to Jet, not Woodcraft.