PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas

Steve McKee
06-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi gang, I have a request from a customer to make up something that they could use to put in a public garden, actually the flowers around a flagpole, that would be engraved with text and a graphic. Text would be something along the line of "This garden maintained by" and their company name, graphic would be their company logo. Whatever I come up with will have to stand up to sun, wind, rain, and, if they leave it out during the winter months, extreme cold, snow, etc. It would also need to be something that could somehow be "secured" so that it wouldn't be carried off. They are thinking something around 6 to 7 inches high and 8 to 10 inches wide. My first thought was Granite but they already nixed that idea so now I'm somewhat at a loss. Any one ever do anything like this or have any thought on what might work?

Any and all suggestions appreciated,
Steve

David Fairfield
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
How about ceramic tiles? They could be cemented to a poured concrete block. In my neighborhood, unless something the size they specify is attached to a half ton of dead weight, it will get swiped! I have to wire my petunia basket to a lamp post, even then its always a relief to see they are still there in the morning! lol

Dave

George D Gabert
06-13-2008, 2:28 PM
How about a stainless steel or brass plaque using Cermax or such

Craig Hogarth
06-13-2008, 3:19 PM
Check out http://www.gapalum.com/Blank_Insert_Plaques/blank_insert_plaques.html

These come with their "metalphoto" inserts, similar to Alumamark, but they claim is much more weather resistent.

Nancy Laird
06-13-2008, 4:07 PM
This would be a perfect application for Corian/solid surface material. Talk to Keith Outten...

Bill Cunningham
06-14-2008, 9:53 PM
Something with a BIG spike that can be driven into the ground.. There are disgusting morons out there that will steal anything shiny.. I did a photo on stainless for a roadside memorial.. The stainless plate was bolted to a 3' high x 2' wide stainless, square tubular cross, which in turn was bolted to a 10" dia fence post that had been at that corner for generations and the cross had been there for two years.. 'Then' someone stole the cross, photo and all.. Yes!! there ARE morons attracted to shiny things, that will steal virtually anything...:mad:

Dee Gallo
06-14-2008, 9:57 PM
I like that BIG spike idea, how about making stepping stones with one word per stone on top of the BIG spike... something like an electrical ground rod. If they try to dig them up, there should be an alarm or camera of some kind that gets tripped.

cheers, dee

Bill Cunningham
06-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I see my last post was post number 999 for me, so THIS one is 'just because' :D

Frank Corker
06-15-2008, 6:29 AM
Hey Bill, congratulations, I had one too a few weeks ago. Doesn't it make you feel old?

Mike Null
06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I use .050" Black anodized aluminum riveted to aluminum stakes as garden markers. They work very well and, contrary to popular opinion, last several years. They can be screwed or riveted in place as well.

Steve McKee
06-15-2008, 4:46 PM
Mike, where would one by .050" anodized aluminum? I spoke with my customer today at church and they gave me a little more information, turns out they would like something either on a spike or that could be bolted to the flagpole.

Steve

Doug Bergstrom
06-16-2008, 9:46 AM
We have done them out of outdoor Rowmark as well with a garden stake attached to the back. Works great.

Bill Cunningham
06-17-2008, 8:46 PM
Hey Bill, congratulations, I had one too a few weeks ago. Doesn't it make you feel old?

I had one last night! I guess I'm not as old as I thought I was...

Oooo your talking about the count aren't you :o

Mike Null
06-18-2008, 7:37 AM
Steve

I buy my anodized from Johnson Plastics and cut it myself. They will cut it for you if need be.

Missouri Botanical Gardens uses this material for all outdoor signs. (several hundred)

Steve McKee
06-24-2008, 9:19 PM
Mike, I assume they have other colors available besides Black? Any idea what the approx. cost would be for one 7 x 10? Also, my customer has asked for some way to "highlight" their logo, any ideas on color fill or ???

Thanks for the info,
Steve

Mike Null
06-25-2008, 6:19 AM
Anodized is available in several colors but usually not in the variety of thicknesses as black. You buy it in 12" x 24" sheets and cut it yourself or pay a premium and have Johnson cut it for you.

I would be reluctant to offer color on anodized simply because I don't know what would work. (maybe 1 shot sign paints)

Scott Shepherd
06-25-2008, 9:21 AM
Sounds like a difficult customer or one being run by a committee. Seems like they want something that is either really expensive to make (want it for cheap) or doesn't exist. They want permanent, but not stone, they want color, but not plastic or printed media. They want anodized aluminum (which you can walk up to with a key and ruin in 2 seconds) that shows 1 color when done, but they want their logo highlighted.

I feel for you Steve, I do.

I wish I had some ideas, but that's a tall order to fill.

Maybe Die-Sub on a piece of Corian? That's my only suggestion. You'd get a good looking base material and the dye-sub would allow for any colors. Would last quite a while as well, and could be easily mounted.

Doug Griffith
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
A couple more ideas:

1) A brick. Might go good in a garden.

2) Second surface tempered glass. Framed and mounted or inset into a block of some sort. Maybe concrete.

3) Other mentioned less durable methods beneath a layer of glass for scratch protection.