PDA

View Full Version : Shaper advice

Russ Massery
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Two questions,first I'm in process of building some kitchen chairs. I would like to use my shaper to form the chair backs since I have 6 chairs to build. The back are 3" tall 16" wide and with a slight radius (about 18"). I would like to form with a jig. I've seen jigs made for this purpose. My main question is being my shaper has a only a 3/4" spindle. could I start on the jig with say a 1" tall cutter and rub collar (Bearing type) then move up to on following passes? to get my full height. Do you see a problem with this method? Because there isn't much much available height wise in a 3/4" spindle (2" max). Second I've seen a couple of books on shapers one by Roger Cliffe & one by Lonnie Bird any recommendation on either?

Thanks, Russ

Dick Sylvan
06-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Lonnie Bird has a Q&A page at this site:
http://www.amanatool.com/Lonnie_Bird.html
He can probably answer your question. I have taken classes from him and he is very knowledgable.

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2008, 12:34 PM
The Lonnie Bird book is good. He has plenty of suggestions for safe pattern shaping.

If you're limited in capacity under the nut, your multiple-pass process should work. (It isn't the 3/4" diameter of your spindle which is limiting you. There are other shapers with a 3/4" spindle which have 4"-5" capacity under the spindle.)

J.R. Rutter
06-13-2008, 1:03 PM
Can't go wrong with either book.

Can you get a taller (or bigger altogether) spindle as an accessory? You can always bush out to a bigger diameter cutter if that is the limiter on height. Do you have a bandsaw to rough out the radius, then trim on the shaper?

You could also use a router riding on curved rails clamped to each side of your parts...

David DeCristoforo
06-13-2008, 2:37 PM
Stack the spindle with the bearing under the cutter, mount the template on the bottom of the stock and shape as much of the edge as you can. Then re-stack the spindle with the bearing on top of the cutter, flip the work piece/template over and continue. As mentioned, you might find a tall spindle for your shaper (varies from one mfgr to another) but you might be getting into the danger zone with a cutter that big on a 3/4" spindle.

Russ Massery
06-13-2008, 3:27 PM
J.R yes I plan on roughing out the the piece first. Thanks all for the help.