PDA

View Full Version : Drill Index

Stewart Crick
04-14-2004, 5:04 PM
If one were wanting to buy a good quality drill index (for WW of course), who makes a good quality index above and beyond the 14 bit standard index you would find at the big box?

Stu

Steven Wilson
04-14-2004, 6:13 PM
The drill index box? or the bits? Do you want multi-spur, forstner, bradpoint, or twist? If it's a box, the ones from MSC or McMaster-Carr are nice (Huot brand IIRC). For twist bits I like the Chicago Latrobe brand. CMT makes some nice multi-spur bits. The bradpoint bits that Lee Valley sells are excelent, they look like they took good, US made twist bits and ground them to a bradpoint profile.

Stewart Crick
04-14-2004, 11:00 PM
The drill index box? or the bits? Do you want multi-spur, forstner, bradpoint, or twist? If it's a box, the ones from MSC or McMaster-Carr are nice (Huot brand IIRC). For twist bits I like the Chicago Latrobe brand. CMT makes some nice multi-spur bits. The bradpoint bits that Lee Valley sells are excelent, they look like they took good, US made twist bits and ground them to a bradpoint profile.

Hey Steve,

Box with bits. I think brad point. They tend to wonder much less. Just looking for some good quality wood bits and more then the standard 14 sizes. Lately I find myself having to go buy individual bits that I don't have.

Steven Wilson
04-15-2004, 9:46 AM
I picked up a bunch of bradpoint bits from Lee Valley. The smaller sizes came in a cheap metal box which I junked and got a decent box (Huot) for. The larger bits came sans box so I bought a larger drill index for them.

Jamie Buxton
04-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Check Enco for tools which might be used in a machine shop. www.use-enco.com Huge selection, good prices, fast delivery.