PDA

View Full Version : OT Chain Saw Question

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 2:03 PM
I have a 14" McCullen Electric Chain saw that I bought 2 years ago, but only have used twice and always used oil with the blade. I went to use it and the dang thing will not work. Any ideas? It wasn't that pricey, but I hate to drop another $50 for a new one or even jump to a gas model, if I do not have to. The saw was only planned for minor tree triming around the yard. I can move the blade when by hand... and yes I checked multiple cords and outlets. :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
04-14-2004, 2:28 PM
Not Obvious! Does it have a hand guard safety switch??? Some times it may be tripped or just not seated properly.

Obvious!, Plugged in, Fuse, defective plug, defective switch, defective wire. Oil in the switch???
When you say doesn't run?? No sound, no chain movement. Click when you pull the trigger??

More details please have you traced the current path??:o I love troubleshooting.

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 2:33 PM
I love it better when things work the first time you hit the ON button! :D

Has the saw been sitting around for a while, Scott? If so, as Tyler pointed out, oil/gunk could have solidified on certain portions of the ignition system. This is one of those take it apart and clean it up kind of excercises.

If you do get it running, you might want to fire it up once every month or so while it is sititng.

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 2:37 PM
The safety button engages and the switch makes the clicking sound switches make (with no power). Whichs is how it actually acts like there is no power. The thing looiks barely used, except for the oil /dirt that gets around the blade. I may call the mfr as there are no serviceable parts, besides the chain.

There is no burning electrical smell to it, but who knows maybe the windings were bad and they burned up quickly and didn't stink. It worked when I put it int he box last fall. Beats the heck out of me, gremmlins probably.

Richard Allen
04-14-2004, 4:05 PM
An alternative to a rarely used electric chainsaw is an alcohol powered saw. They are cheaper and cut surprisingly well.

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 4:42 PM
Thanks Richard.... :rolleyes: , I've got two of those. One that is fairly new and one that is from the early/mid 1900's. That's like asking me to own a bunch of planes :eek: .

The job got done with power... Sawsall. Just need to figure out what is causing the brunt of the problem with the current desposable tool :D .

Tyler Howell
04-14-2004, 5:08 PM
Not Obvious! Does it have a hand guard safety switch??? Some times it may be tripped or just not seated properly.

Scott I'm not talking about the trigger safety. I'm talking about hand guard safety. 2 electrics I've had, (a cheapo Wen and a bucoo $$ Milwaukee) have this switch and caused the &^5$3@)* :eek: word when I had checked everything but this.
Good luck!

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 10:56 PM
No,
not that fancy. Very simple design. Safety button and trigger.

Wolf Kiessling
04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
I've got the 16" version of the same saw and had the same problem. It was a few years ago and to the best of my remembrance, the problem was the hand guard safety switch went defective. I opened the saw up, took the switch out and wired around it and it's been cooking ever since.

Scott Coffelt
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I'll try that.

Sam Chambers
04-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Scott:

If you try Wolf's work-around and discover that the safety switch is bad, it'd be a really, really good idea to get a replacement switch instead of leaving it permanently bypassed. The way I look at things is that safety equipment is there for a good reason. Even though it's just a little electric saw, it can still do a substantial amount of damage.

Like grandma always said, "Better safe than sorry"!

Tyler Howell
04-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Scott:

If you try Wolf's work-around and discover that the safety switch is bad, it'd be a really, really good idea to get a replacement switch instead of leaving it permanently bypassed. The way I look at things is that safety equipment is there for a good reason. Even though it's just a little electric saw, it can still do a substantial amount of damage.

Like grandma always said, "Better safe than sorry"!OSHA Would clap me in Irons for bypassing a safety switch. :eek: :eek:
Yes many safety devices are an after thought, unreasonable, not logical, over kill and a PITA. Buuuuuut behind every one of them is an injury, law suite, or death. Wolf Your gonna get spanked for that one.:mad:

The best solution is be very thorough when you make your purchaces.

Wolf Kiessling
04-15-2004, 1:46 PM
Yeah, and I would deserve it..... :(

I originally bypassed the switch because I needed to use the saw right then. I REALLY did intend to replace the switch but ultimately forgot about it. After all, it's been about four or five years. (I know, that's no excuse) This thread reminded me of what I had done.

Bad, bad, bad....... :mad: :rolleyes: