PDA

View Full Version : Over packaging

Mike DeHart
06-12-2008, 7:27 PM
Thought I might have a clamp gloat, but amazon really outdid themselves this time.http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7pzwq/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/clamps.jpg.w300h454.jpg

Contents: 7 clamps in the boxes and 1 was delivered (resting against the boxes) with just a sticker on it. What waste!

what is your most outrageous over packaging experience?

Mike

Lee DeRaud
06-12-2008, 7:54 PM
Lee Valley shelf brackets.

Each pair came in a bag containing two smaller bags (one per bracket), plus the instructions. Each bracket bag contained a bag holding the brackets themselves, plus another bag containing the mounting plate and yet another bag containing two screws and two drywall anchors. For those of you keeping score at home, that's a total of nine plastic bags for each pair of brackets.:eek:

They did manage to get all eight pairs I ordered into a single cardboard box, so all things considered I guess it could have been a lot worse.:p

Steve Clardy
06-12-2008, 8:41 PM
Same thing here with Amazon.
6 months ago, ordered a dozen I-beam jorgies and got 12 boxes free.

2 weeks ago I ordered 16 Jorgy F- clamps and also got the boobie prize of 16 free boxes.

I have 8 more coming, and I am really looking forward to the 8 more freebie boxes that will tag along with the clamps.:rolleyes: :D

Tom Veatch
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Same thing here with Amazon.
6 months ago, ordered a dozen I-beam jorgies and got 12 boxes free.

And if it was like the last clamps I ordered from Amazon, all the clamps would have fit in any one of the boxes instead of having the whole porch covered with cardboard boxes - which then had to be disposed of. At least out in the country, I can burn them instead of having them hauled to the landfill.

What annoys me the most is a 1 cubic foot box packed full of those styrofoam peanuts that get scattered all over the place when you dig through them to find the one (count 'em, one) router bit.

Steve Clardy
06-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Thank goodness I've been getting the air filled plastic bags instead of the peanuts. :p :D

Al Wasser
06-13-2008, 2:07 PM
It seems to me that most woodworker supplies are shipped in over sized boxes, often stuffed with an extra catalog and other printed junk. The worst case for me was a year or so back. I placed and order and it was rec'd with some 2" sanding discs on backorder. They arrived a week or so later in a box about the size of a shoe box. They would have easily fit in a regular business envelope. The sad part of all the over packaging is that, one way or another, we are paying for it.

James Stokes
06-13-2008, 5:13 PM
The peanuts are one of my pet peaves. I order something the size of a baseball and it comes in a 1ft square box filled with the peanuts, as soon as you open the box the peanuts come flying out and get all over the place.

Steve Clardy
06-13-2008, 5:27 PM
Well I got paper packing today. :p Something to reuse. ;)

8 clamps, 8 boxes.

Clint Jones
06-13-2008, 6:10 PM
Underpacking .....Bought an expensive hand plane on ebay packed in a big box (small plane) wrapped in a pair of dirty oily blue jeans and there was a loose empty egg carton. Dont ask me what the seller was thinking must have been smoking crack.

Mike DeHart
06-13-2008, 6:17 PM
I like the paper stuffing to cover the workbench when finishing. Still have to figure out a use for all the cardboard.

Chris Padilla
06-13-2008, 6:48 PM
I dunno about anyone else but my local trash hauler takes cardboard boxes for recycling. You just have to break 'em down and flatten 'em.

Brian Elfert
06-13-2008, 8:14 PM
Better not to use the excess cardboard in the first place than to recycle it afterward.

Mike DeHart
06-13-2008, 8:54 PM
they recycle them here, but always like to use things again if possible before recycling. It's my green side showing....

Richard M. Wolfe
06-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Nothing personal that I can think of offhand, but I get stuff at work all the time. Example: A box of 100 paper filters. These filters are 9 cm and simply a box of 100 circles which is about a 2 cm thick and 10 cm square. Came packed in a box about 2 ft x 1.5 ft x 1 ft. The rest of the order came in other boxes....some nearly as ludicrous as this.

Don Abele
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
In some of my over-packing incidents, I ordered some Jorgy's from Amazon and they came in huge boxes with lots of air bags inside:

Of course, the clamps where not in the middle of those bags, they were at the bottom of the boxes:

Then when my Bessey's came in from Amazon they were shipped using the MINIMAL packing method. They were inside of a single piece of cardboard that had been wrapped around them and glued at the seam:

Of course, half of the Bessey's I received were damaged, especially since most them were hanging outside the cardboard "sleeve" they were in!

Be well,

Doc

Jeff Mohr
06-15-2008, 8:46 AM
I ordered sandpaper AND a Woodworking book from Amazon and they packed it in the same box. Not a big deal except they put the book in the bottom of the box, sandpaper on top of the book and then paper on the sandpaper. After the travel from there to my place the cover of the book had been well sanded!

skip coyne
06-15-2008, 9:55 AM
my favorite over packing was a 2'x2' box full of peanut pops for a package of 25 sales brochures I received a while back :rolleyes: