PDA

View Full Version : So I was at the Orange Borg today and

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 2:00 PM
saw the replacements for the Bessey's they have been clearancing. The new store color scheme clamps are in stock. Jorgies have arrived. My real question is I noticed that the guts of the clamps are black on the new units and the ones I bought during Jorgies special were natural metal color. So I wonder if the they are cheaper in quality and the new design to cover up the breaking problem the older ones experienced. If the later, then I wonder if the real reason they had a special was to blow out the old inventory... which makes a lot of sense to me now. However, it does seem that HD is putting more emphasis on lower prices (read quality).

Dan Stuewe
04-14-2004, 3:12 PM
When I got my two closeout 24" K-Bodies, the guy in the corral told me they were going to Irwin (the quik-grip folks). He was pretty unimpressed with the quik-grip clamps (probably like most of us, tried to use beyond their capablility).

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 4:44 PM
I used to think those quick grips were really neat, I am not sure when the last time I used them. Just are not good for much IMHO. Thank goodness I only purchase a few of them or I'd be having a fire sale. :p

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 5:26 PM
I love them. They have their place in the shop most like anything else and I grab mine all the time but for any serious glue-ups, I pull out the big-gun Besseys every time and they've never let me down.

I've been to HD like 10 times since people posted about the Bessey fire sale but I keep forgetting to go look! :rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
04-14-2004, 5:36 PM
From what I've picked up on other forums, the casting has been changed due to the breakage of the alum. colored pieces. They have gone to a black casted piece for more strength.
Out of the thirty I purchased during all the jorgy sales, none have broken.
But I did have two out of the box that were not right. One had the head pressed on crooked, the other had some bad threads, either the shaft or the part that it screws into.
I contacted them and they were replaced immediately, got them in two days, and all I had to do to the defective ones was to rebox and Ups picked them up at the same time.
Steve, waiting on the next KC woodshow breakfast.:D

Steve Clardy
04-14-2004, 5:38 PM
Forgot to ask if you have checked prices on Jorgys while you were at HD.

Scott Coffelt
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
I did but don't remember the prices for sure but they seemed to be right in line with what they originally were charging for Bessey's. I personally like the Bessey's much more and always grab them first.