PDA

View Full Version : Programmable Thermostat Question

Bob Moyer
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Honeywell Programmable thermostat, model
RTH7400D. I realize that the thermostat can be programmed for M-F (when we are away) and S&S when we are at home. Since my wife works part-time and her days off between M-F vary; what is the easiest way to for her to raise the temperature when she is at home. is this a manual adjustment? Is there a thermostat that can be programmed for the variables?

Thanks

Doug Shepard
06-12-2008, 1:04 PM
I dont know about that particular model but I've had a couple different ones. They both had a manual up/down buttons for kicking things a few degrees one way or the other. No programming required, and when the time change occurs for whatever you have programmed it goes back to the programmed setting.

Randy Denby
06-12-2008, 1:11 PM
Bob, most new programmable t-stats have a manual "Hold" button . This overrides the program feature until the user switches it off.If you raise/lower the temperature manually without pushing hold, it will revert back to program mode at next scheduled change.
So make sure it has this "hold" feature

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2008, 1:19 PM
Bob,

I went and looked at the owners manual to see if it was similar to the Honeywell we had a few years ago.

Yes you can set a temporary or permanent temperature change. It's quite easy. You just press the up / down buttons to set the new temp and then select "temporary" or "Permanent" for the system to hold the new temp. Temporary will hold the new temp until the next scheduled cycle change...Permanent will hold it until you remove the permanent change...by deleting or removing that change.

It's more complicated than it sounds.

Our old Honeywell was that way too.

Glenn Clabo
06-12-2008, 1:22 PM
See http://customer.honeywell.com/TechLit/pdf/PackedLit/69-1899ES.pdf

RTH7400/RTH7500 13Program schedule override (temporary)
Press s or t to immediately adjust the temperature. This will temporarily override the temperature setting for the current time period.
The new temperature will be maintained until the next time period.
When the timer expires, the program schedule will resume and set the temperature to the level you’ve programmed for the current time period.
To cancel the temporary setting at any time, press USE SCHEDULE.

Press USE SCHEDULE to resume program schedule

Bob Moyer
06-12-2008, 1:39 PM
See http://customer.honeywell.com/TechLit/pdf/PackedLit/69-1899ES.pdf

RTH7400/RTH7500 13Program schedule override (temporary)
Press s or t to immediately adjust the temperature. This will temporarily override the temperature setting for the current time period.
The new temperature will be maintained until the next time period.
When the timer expires, the program schedule will resume and set the temperature to the level you’ve programmed for the current time period.
To cancel the temporary setting at any time, press USE SCHEDULE.

Press USE SCHEDULE to resume program schedule

Thanks; that what I was looking for.

Jim Becker
06-12-2008, 6:57 PM
I have two programable thermostats. I honestly don't vary the settings much during the four periods they offer on a daily basis, especially since I also work at home when I'm not traveling. But as suggested, I do use the "hold" feature when I want to adjust things temporarily.

Wayne Huisman
06-12-2008, 9:12 PM
I just installed 2 Honeywell VisionPro 8000 series thermostats. By far the most intuitive t-stat's I've ever used. Very simple to change the temperature setpoint for a few hours (or a few days for that matter). Highly recommend this model!!!