PDA

View Full Version : Shop Floor

Jim Barrett
04-14-2004, 1:55 PM
My shop is in my 2 car garage, about 500sf with 10' ceilings. It has 1 window 5'L x 3'H and a concrete floor. Here is my question. It is a "typical" concrete floor with stains some fairly long cracks, etc.
I have been looking into fixing the cracks and painting the floor with epoxy; or
purchasing some PVC interlocking tiles: www.locktile-usa.com (http://www.locktile-usa.com/) www.racedeck.com (http://www.racedeck.com/) I received several samples, nice stuff but $$ ~3+ sq ft this would solve the problem of "hiding" the cracks, make it easy on my legs, help to protect any dropped tools, and look pretty cool.
Last option and least expensive is to get a couple of anti-fatigue mats placed around the tools and workbench.
Looking for any other suggestions or if anyone has gone the route of the interlocking tiles.
Thanks for any help!
JimB :confused:

Robert Ducharme
04-14-2004, 2:04 PM
I looked at doing that for my workshop. I decided not to and instead cleaned and painted my floor with epoxy. I was concerned about driving vehicles on it when it was cold or doing tight turning radius with vehicles. Also concerned about staining and if oils or chemicals would get in the "cracks". Cleanup was also a concern.

It cost me about $1000 to epoxy my floor while the PVC would have cost about $15,000. Just not worth the cost. Have been very happy with the results.

Jim Barrett
04-14-2004, 2:09 PM
Robert,
Thanks for the quick response. You must have a huge shop!! Did you do the expoxy yourself or contract it out?
Thanks,
jim

Donnie Raines
04-14-2004, 2:23 PM
He must have a big floor!!!..my existing shop is 20 X 30 and I coated my floor in epoxy for a cost in the 300 buck area.

DonnieR

JayStPeter
04-14-2004, 2:53 PM
I looked at the interlocking tile systems for my new shop. One of the things the lock-tile says is to put the tiles around machines, not under. My shop really isn't big enough (600sf) that I feel comfortable not having my machines mobile.
In my case, I chose VCT. Mostly because I didn't really want to acid-etch the basement floor. If it was a garage shop, I would've epoxied. The VCT will be around $1 sq/ft. Epoxy is around $0.50. The interlocking tile systems I looked at, including subflor (not really tile), were significantly more expensive.
I'll probably go with a few horse stall mats in high use areas.

jay

Jim Barrett
04-14-2004, 3:06 PM
Hello Jay,

I believe VCT is a vinyl tile? Did you have to patch your floor at all?
Thanks,
JimB

Robert Ducharme
04-14-2004, 4:14 PM
Jim,

I have 5000 sq ft of concrete for my shop (see previous posts).

My wife and I did the work ourselves. Really quite simple. We put down 4 gallons at a time then mixed the next 4 gallon batch. Used Rustoleum product - Industrial strength.

We did have to etch the floor and cleaned it real well first but other then letting it sit for 2 weeks to dry, no problem. In fact, so happy with the results, we will do the same thing for the garage (probably next year).

JayStPeter
04-14-2004, 5:38 PM
Jim,
Yes, VCT is industrial vinyl tile. The price range for it is significant, but for the kind of groovy '60s looking tile, I paid around $89/sf for the tile. I figure after cleaning supplies, adhesive, and roller rental, I'm looking at around $1.05/sf.
My basement floor is pretty new. It does have some small cracks, but I don't plan on patching them.

Robert,
I do plan on painting my garage floor with rustoleum epoxy. I didn't want to do my shop floor because I didn't want the acid fumes loose in the house.

Jay

John Miliunas
04-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Jim, I went with interlocking tiles for much of my floor, but they're not the high-tech ones you're looking at. I got these at a local Sam's Club. They're 2x2' tiles, about 1/2" thick and made of a pretty dense foam-type of material. I started with these, back in my old shop, because my feet & knees were taking a beating. When I moved into the bigger shop, I figured I would just put them in front of the machines and main standing areas. Well, one thing led to another and I have the majority of the floor covered with them! I simply love them. Real easy on the old dogs, easy to move if need be and relatively inexpensive. A "6-pack" of 2x2's for right around $15.00, which works out to about $0.63 sq/ft. They also add a definite margin of insulation. :cool: