PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Maple Vase

Bob Opsitos
06-12-2008, 7:29 AM
This one's been done for a while, but I misplaced the base to my camera so I couldn't take a picture till I found it.

10" high with 3-1/4" being the top diameter. Wall is a little less than 1/4"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/dyedmaplevase-1.jpg

Wood is lightly spalted maple

Roughed out on the mini lathe and finished/hollowed on the big lathe so I could use my workpiece steady.

Dyed with Transtint dye mixed with water, laid on with an airbrush. It really takes some time to get the colors to blend.

Top rim is cut with a japanese saw after dyeing and cleaned up with files and sandpaper

Finish is sprayed lacquer, wet sanded and buffed.

Thanks for looking
bob

robert hainstock
06-12-2008, 8:48 AM
A great way to enhance a plain piece of wood. Nice form and finish. :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice work Bob! Really like your use of color - great job on blending! Nice form to the vase - interesting edge treatment!

Clara Koss
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
wow....that's a piece that is soooooo tropical and fresh looking..... thanks for posting it!!!!!!! look forward to seeing more of similar colored pieces.... where did you get that idea????

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2008, 6:21 PM
Great job on a great vase. I just got my airbrush outfit and when I get back from watching Binh Pho at Richmond I hope to get started.

curtis rosche
06-12-2008, 7:10 PM
that looks neat, i would do something to the inside though

Bob Opsitos
06-13-2008, 11:01 AM
wow....that's a piece that is soooooo tropical and fresh looking..... thanks for posting it!!!!!!! look forward to seeing more of similar colored pieces.... where did you get that idea????

Thanks, Clara.

There was a post a number of months back, by Scott Hubl, talking about colored peices. There was a link to an artist's website, who specializes in colored, peirced peices. I forget the name, but a lot of my inspiration came from there.

Bob

curtis rosche
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
how do you get the edge like that? use a dremel

Bob Opsitos
06-13-2008, 1:34 PM
how do you get the edge like that? use a dremel

Japanese hand saw and a small needle file to clean up the saw marks.

It's pretty easy, though on a small bowl I recently did, it took a while to make all those cuts. I mask the rim with tape, draw the pattern and cut to the lines.

Bob

Mike Ramsey
06-13-2008, 1:49 PM
Ouch! Looks like that would hurt if you sat on it....Interesting piece.

Ben Gastfriend
06-13-2008, 4:55 PM
Very nice, the blended dye really adds a unique element.