PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 18v combo kit

Bob Aquino
04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
My old CMAN 15.6 v "Professional" drill has bit the dust. It was a good drill with enough power and battery life and it lasted well over 5 years of heavy homeowner use. A while back I picked up another sears 15.6 v drill for 50 bucks on sale just to get the batteries, which happen to fit the older drill and do pretty well overall. It is a one speed drill and does pretty good considering what it cost. But I want a better unit (2 spd) as my main drill. BTW, I also have a 3/8" bosch and 1/2" CMAN corded drills.

So there I was in Lowes looking at cordless drills and I happen upon the cordless combo kits. I focused in on the Bosch 18V set. The price is kinda high (just about 500 bucks), but you do get quite an assortment of tools. The drill is a 1/2" impact unit with 475 in/lbs of torque. Normal price about 230. Included in the kit is a 6.5" circ saw, recip saw, jig saw and a crummy flashlight. Kit comes with two batteries and a charger and a bag. Now, I don't use a circ saw too often (have an old sears) and had a grizzley 18v cordless saw that I just donated to Habitat since it was IMHO a POS and was just taking up space. I have a Milwaukee sawzall and an old sears jigsaw (corded) that I don't use too often, but are there when I need em. I have been wanting a better jig saw and have considered a Bosch or something equivalent. So it's not like I don't have the tools and would kill several birds with this one tool buying stone.

So I can't justify this purchase based on need alone and need some good rationalizations as to why this would be a good set of tools to get. Anybody that has specific experience with this 18v line of tools please let me know how you like em or not. So far the best deals I can come up with are at woodworkers supply using the 10% first time buyer discount or at a place called burns tools where they will throw in a cordless planer (have a corded makita too) for about 530. http://www.burnstools.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=BOS93618HDCRFJ And of course there's a rebate that will get you a 3rd battery on top of everything else.

Any and all comments about THIS SET of TOOLS would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Walt Pater
04-14-2004, 6:21 PM
Bob, I like Bosch stuff as much (and probably more) than the next guy, but I don't know if I'd take the bait. Cordless drills are a necessity, but except for punch list work at a production site, cordless saws don't cut it for me. I say, you want a drill, you want a new jigsaw, buy 'em and you'll be money ahead than if you sprang for the whole cordless shebang. Bosch has just redesigned the 1587 jigsaw, and then there are the Festool jigs out there which everybody raves about.
Bosch's cordless warranties are really impressive. Story: My 9 month old 14.4 drill gives out. I call their hotline, they send me a new one, 2nd day air. One week later, a battery gives out. I give 'em a call, they send me a new one. All free, all postage paid.
(I should tell you that I was putting the drill through some pretty heavy paces before it broke down.) So, get a Bosch drill. Buy a jigsaw. But not the combo. I mean, a cordless PLANER? I have a power planer, supposedly a good one, and when I need to plane something, I reach for a block plane. Guess what- it's cordless too. Walt.

Dave Falkenstein
04-14-2004, 8:32 PM
IMHO, you do not "need" 18 volt tools around the house or home shop. They are heavy and the batteries are way expensive to replace. Consider a cordless 12 or 14.4 volt drill and a good jig saw. My personal choice in drills is Dewalt 12 volt. I have two of them and they are really good tools. I use them in the shop all the time, and I have built numerous decks with those 12 volt drills. There is plenty of power/torque for any job, and they are lighter and easier to handle than their bigger brothers. A drill needs to "fit your hand", so go with whatever is comfortable for you. One thing I find helpful is to standardize cordless power tools on one brand and one voltage. Then the batteries are interchangeable. As to jig saws, the Bosch corded is certainly a fine saw, and I have one. If I were buying today, I'd look closely at the Festool jig saws, but they are pricey. As for the kit, it sounds like you have already talked yourself out of it. Why buy tools you don't want or need, just because they are in a cool kit.

John Miliunas
04-14-2004, 9:41 PM
Bob, I can't directly respond to the cordless Bosch tools, though I do have a corded Bosch ROS, which is pretty good. I can, however, attest to the quality of the Festools. I now have four of them, including the cordless 12V drill with the eccentric chuck. Without carrying on about Festool (like I usually do :rolleyes: ), let me just say that I've resolved myself to the fact that, if/when I need or choose to upgrade any of my portable power tools, and Festool has an offering of same, that's who gets my business. Period. I'm NOT putting down Bosch or any of the other OEM's out there, as I'm sure they all have their place. My experience is such that I feel I've (pardon my French) pissed away enough $$ on trying other brands and I've deprived myself of owning truly high quality, ergonomic, innovative and wonderfully engineered tools long enough! Festool fits all of that and more! :cool:

Bob Aquino
04-15-2004, 7:56 AM
I appreciate the feedback. This is definately a would like to have not a need to have issue. I was looking at the tools again yesterday and also looked at the hitachi drills, the 14.4 and 18v versions. Lowes has the 14.4 volt drill for around 89 bucks. Still, I wouldnt mind a cordless circ saw for the convenience of it. I'll keep pondering it for a while. Appreciate the inputs from all concerned.

Matt Meiser
04-15-2004, 8:25 AM
I bought one of the Ryobi 14.4V Drill/Saw/Flashlight kits at Home Depot last year for the saw. I use it a fair amount for shop projects and work around the house. The cordless saw is very handy for quick cuts and for knocking down sheet goods if I only have a few cuts to make. I use the drill about as much as my 12V Porter Cable. Battery life isn't as good as my PC drill, but its decent.

Bob Aquino
04-15-2004, 9:29 AM
Since what I really wanted out of the deal was a new drill and the battery CSAW, I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RHP8/qid=1082034735/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-7212033-3223267?v=glance&s=hi and ordered it. The kit went for 220 with free shipping. Should get a 30 dollar coupon from amazon as part of the deal as well. :)

John Miliunas
04-15-2004, 9:38 AM
Looks to be a good deal, Bob. :) Please, let us know how it all works, particularly the saw. :cool:

Bob Aquino
04-15-2004, 1:06 PM
Found the same combo at Tyler Tool http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/bos361214dri.html for 199.95 with free shipping and it should ship today or tomorrow rather than the 1-2 weeks that Amazon was quoting. I don't think this deal will be around much longer, the drill is a discontinued model whereas the Circ Saw is current. I have found the same Circ saw with 1 battery advertised for 190 at Amazon so I'm really at a loss as to how they can sell it with a drill and a second battery for 10 bucks more.