PDA

View Full Version : Another Differnt Motorcycle question

Paul Greathouse
06-11-2008, 9:30 PM
I'm looking for some advice on a first street bike to learn on. I have ridden dirt bikes as kid but never a larger street bike. I'm 6'5" tall and wiegh 245lbs.

I eventually want a nice larger bike but I don't want it to be my first bike because I'm sure I'll have some minor mishaps and don't want to tear up an expensive bike while learning.

So, considering my size, give me some advice on which and what size bike would be a good first/learner bike that would still have decent resell value if I don't tear it up too bad.

Oh, Uh, also, please put me on a big enough bike so that I won't look like a gorilla riding a tricycle.

Guy Roland
06-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Paul, I've been riding for almost 40 years. I've owned Harleys, Suzukis, Yamahas and Hondas and never owned a bike I didn't like. My first bike was a 1969 Harley Electra Glide when I bought it I had never been on a motorcycle in my life. I learned to ride on that bike and never laid it down. My sugestion to you is find the bike you are comfortable on and would be happy with. The biggest problem with learning to ride is starting and stopping and your plenty big enough to have no problems with that. The bigger the bike the easier it is to ride. Just relax take your time practice to build up your confidence and drive defensively. The one piece of advice I would give any new rider is "always leave yourself an out". Good Luck

mark page
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Paul,

I have owned a multitude of bikes, and no-one can pick one for you. Decide on what you ultimately would like to own and ride (sporty, touring, something in-between), and go test drive those bikes to decide. Go ahead and get what you ultimately want and forget about upgrading (kind of like woodworking equipment isn't it?). Before a divorce problem set in, I had at least two bikes in the garage at all times, a dresser for trips/touring and something sporty for daily commutes/sport riding. Also figure what type of riding you will mostly be doing and pick your style of bike from that. Take it from me, if you will be doing long distance touring rides, you don't want something like a low-rider style cause the seating posture will kill you with wind resistance. Then again, if short commuting or joy rides, a full-dresser is probably not what you want either. I second everything said about driving defensively, if your not stupid-its the other guy that will kill you.

Randy Denby
06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
-I would add, try and take a MSF course right away. They sometimes furnish the bikes too. If you know anyone that would loan you a dirtbike,or let you ride with them a few times, try to do it. Dirtbike riding is the best way to hone bike skills before getting out among traffic. Its great for seasoned street riders as well. It really helps to learn how to handle a bike in low traction conditions. I've ridden dirtbikes now for almost 40 years. I feel there have been a few instances where if I didnt have that background, I might have gone down.Like the time a ladder fell out of the back of a truck....I knew I didnt have enough room to brake, and there were cars on my tuckus as well, I got my front wheel really light , almost a wheelie ,and managed to get over it ok. The old adage..when in doubt...gas it, really comes into play alot. This also taught me not to ride too close behind anyone as by the time an obstacle passes under the car and into your field of vision...doesn't leave much time to react. Riding dirtbikes, it was almost instinctive to raise the front end.
Remember to ride like your invisible or no one see's you and always leave yourself an out.
Anyways, just my thoughts to get your 2 wheel legs back under you so you can be confident with any bike you choose.
Good luck and hope to see you on the road!