PDA

View Full Version : Gunk on your bandsaw blade...

Jim Underwood
06-11-2008, 7:34 PM
When you cut a lot of green wood, pitch and gunk build up pretty badly on the tires and teeth of your bandsaw blade. If you leave it to dry, then the blade will hardly cut the next time you use it.

Don't ask me how I know this....

What is your solution to the problem?

Paul Heely
06-11-2008, 8:51 PM
I use a stiff bristle brush to clean the wheels. On the blade I use a triangle head paint scraper held against the blade while I rotate the wheels by hand. I've also found that remembering to turn on the DC helps with keeping the wheels and blade cleaner, less stuff left behind to gum up the works.

Hope that helps.
--
Paul

Dick Strauss
06-12-2008, 2:00 AM
Jim,
I have almost no buildup using the stock Delta guides. My buddy has all kinds of problems due to the roller guides compressing the stuff onto the blade.

I use an old chisel to clean the gunk as needed. I also turn the wheel by hand with the machine unplugged. The chisel should be perpendicular and off to one side so that the teeth or gullets never touch the chisel.

robert hainstock
06-12-2008, 9:04 AM
Most likely because I do not turn Greenwood. I use a small brass or stainless (tooth) brush to knock the sawdust off the wheels, and would try to loosen gummy buildup with mineral spirits, or terps. Then (with the plug pulled) Use a raag to wipe down the blade. :eek::):)
Bob

Steven Wilson
06-12-2008, 9:28 AM
I clean as I go and use PAM spray as I cut. Usually a brush, some CMT 2050 and a bit of elboe grease gets the junk off, followed by a coating of WD40

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I clean the machine when I am done using it for the day - vac real good first, then clean wheels, blade, etc with mineral spirits.

Paul Engle
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
For the really tough burned on pitch same as with router bits, ts blade... Easy Off oven cleaner with the lemonny scent ..... soak a few mins , rinse , dry, good to go...