PDA

View Full Version : Original Incra Jig

Greg Hines, MD
06-11-2008, 6:33 PM
I have seen the videos and played around with the LS Positioners at Woodcraft and Rockler from time to time, but never seen the original jig in use. Does anyone have one of these for their router table? Do you like it? Does it work as well as the more expensive versions?

Doc

Kim Spence
06-11-2008, 7:00 PM
I have one that I recieved as a hand-me-down from my dad. Believe he purchased back in the late 80s or early 90s when they were new, not sure though. Its made of a light colored plastic as opposed to today's extruded aluminum.

Works as advertised. I haven't used it a ton, but did use it to make dovetails on some drawers. They turned out quite nice, very tight/accurate fit.

Rockler re-introduced the original fence a couple years ago, basically identical to the one I have except made of black plastic instead of the light color of mine.

Matt Ocel
06-11-2008, 9:33 PM
Greg -

I got one a little while ago. Haven't used it yet just finished the table.
It comes with a video and I watched that a couple of times so far.
It looks like it is all that it is cracked up to be and more.

The video shows how to make a double dove tail box in real time, and it takes the guy about 10 minutes to do the joinery on four sides. Its amazing.

I tell you, I don't know whats more impressive, the Incra system or the carpenter doing the work.

This weekend is my Daughters graduation party so I won't be in the workshop, but next weekend I'm gonna be making some serious double dove tails joinery.

John Ricci
06-11-2008, 9:55 PM
I'm a devoted Incra fan, I have the 24" Ultra/Intellifence combo on a LV table as well as two original Incra jigs. One is mounted on a Shopsmith router/overarm table with the Profence and the other has a plywood fence which gets used on the drill press when I need it. A simple tool that gives reliable precision:cool:

J.R.

Mark Carlson
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Greg,

I have the newer LS and the older Ultra Lite positioner. The Lead Screw version is much easier to use but the older models with the plastic gears work just as well. The Ultra version has the Rockler name on it. I had forgotten they had their own version.

~mark

mike holden
06-12-2008, 9:24 AM
Greg,
The whole key to the incra jig is the plastic "gear rack" that meshes with the positioning clamp. This is the same rack in the original and the latest.
The other aspect is the slide in scales that are keyed to the proper spacing and router bits so the cuts come out as planned.
The only disadvantage to the original would be the lack of fine tuning the center of the router bit, but since you really only have to do that once, it is not by any means a "show stopper". The original is a good way to see if you will have use for the system, and if so, you can upgrade.
Mike

Steve Flavin001
06-13-2008, 12:55 AM
original mention of the basic "positioner" which simply only advances in 1/32" increments - then various attachments were tossed in. It might be beneficial if you indicted what application you might have in mind and narrow it down from the broad Incra product spectrum.

Keith Outten
06-13-2008, 6:32 AM
Greg,

I have the original Incra Jig, I bought it when they first hit the market. They work as advertisied and are accurate enough to produce perfect joints every time. My Dad and I made a truck load of box joint boxes, sliding dovetails and a host of other joints with the original Incra Jig, in fact I still have it in my shop along with the Incra Edge and distance guide that I would never like to be without and the original video. I also own the Incra 24" Ultra Fence which isn't any more accurate than the original just more flexible with more capacity.

Great Stuff, Incra is a class act in my book.