PDA

View Full Version : John McCain ad on SMC????

Greg Muller
06-11-2008, 3:18 PM
I am a Contributor (proudly!), but I have the ads turned on - because you can never have enough tools- and I swear I just saw a John McCain ad at the bottom of the "$4 gas" thread. It was asking us to sign a petition.

No "Dome's" here on the 'Creek, but if I see a BHO ad, I'm turning off the ads until after November, political fairness be darned!:D

...but that's just me.

Greg

Joe Pelonio
06-11-2008, 4:09 PM
Was that an "ad by Google"? I don't know how much control there is over them, but they are supposed to be woodworking related. I'll make sure it gets passed on to Keith.

Lee DeRaud
06-11-2008, 4:27 PM
Was that an "ad by Google"? I don't know how much control there is over them, but they are supposed to be woodworking related. I'll make sure it gets passed on to Keith.They appear to be related to the content of the thread, just as the ads on Google itself are related to the content of the search. (For some indeterminant value of "related".)

Actually the ones I think are funny are the ads consisting of nothing but links to Ebay auctions. Hmm...

Steve Clardy
06-11-2008, 4:29 PM
Curious, I turned the ads on. Yes its there.

Turning ads back off now. ;)

Lee DeRaud
06-11-2008, 4:32 PM
Ok, that's odd: when Pelonio's post was on top, the ads were for laser-cutting services. Now, with Clardy's post on top, it's cabinet and floor stuff.

Coincidence?

Steve Clardy
06-11-2008, 4:34 PM
Lol. Now its laser stuff.

Keith Outten
06-11-2008, 5:09 PM
Google ads do in fact pick up keywords on the page before sending their banner ad. I saw an ad for Obama the other day :)

Karl Laustrup
06-11-2008, 5:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Clardy your avatar does wonders for you. ;):D

You've never looked better.:D:D:D

Can the propeller attain enough velocity to achieve liftoff?? :confused::eek::D:D:D

Karl

Steve Clardy
06-11-2008, 5:28 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Clardy your avatar does wonders for you. :D

You've never looked better.:D

Can the propeller attain enough velocity to achieve liftoff?? :confused::eek::D

Karl

Thanks Karl :D

Yes it has great velocity. I'm using it to pull my hair out today.:(
You see that bald spot? Its working.

Doing a different type of finish on some cherry cabinets and its got little eyes in it like fisheye. :mad:

I built and sprayed a set of 7x8 cherry entry doors last month with the same mixture and had zero problems.:confused:

Figured I'd change my avatar to match my mood today. :D

Lee DeRaud
06-11-2008, 5:57 PM
Google ads do in fact pick up keywords on the page before sending their banner ad.Just a guess, but it appears they can pick up keywords in the sig lines as well as the post content.

Question: does everybody see the same ads? Reason I ask, the 'Torchmate' CNC ad shows up on the upper banner most of the time: not exactly mainstream woodworking, if you get my drift.

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2008, 8:07 PM
Haven't seen any political ads, but I have seen the CNC Shape Cutting ad and such.