PDA

View Full Version : Maine Coast Help Needed

Bob Moyer
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
After a weekend stay in Boston, my wife and I will be visiting the Southern Maine coast areas, we are staying a few nights in Ogunquit and a few nights in Rockland. Any suggestions on places to eat - things to do.

Thanks

Joe Pelonio
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry to be no help. I did drive down from Quebec to Bangor, then down the coast from Rockland to Portsmouth and on to Boston but it was in the early 70s. Beautiful part of the country, I hit 44 states that summer and Maine was one of my favorites. You'll enjoy it, though I imagine it's grown since then.

I do remember one place we ate that was great, in Portland called the Porthole, I think. I wonder if it's still there, and still good. You may wonder how I can remember it that long ago. At the time I worked at a fish'n'chip shop while in college. The Porthole served Haddock which we did too, and it's fairly rare here on the west coast. Ours was from Iceland.

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Within a stones throw of Rockland are both Lie-Nielsen Toolworks and the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship. Both are open for visitor tours Monday thru Friday and neither place should be missed.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Drive up the coast on U.S. 1. It is slow drive, but great views and lots of small shops and places to eat. I hear the lobster is fresh in Maine.....but try the clam chowder and clam fritters too.

If you have grandkids, visit the Maine Bear Factory and get custom made bears for them.

Jay Jolliffe
06-11-2008, 1:13 PM
I live in the area & what Dave said is a must see. I took a 12 week course at the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship two years ago & it was great. If you go to Lie- Nielsen you can do a tour of the machine shop if their not busy. I can recommend a few restaurants . What kind of food do you like ? There is a lot to see on the way up. Also there are a lot of shops to go through.

Bob Moyer
06-11-2008, 1:17 PM
I live in the area & what Dave said is a must see. I took a 12 week course at the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship two years ago & it was great. If you go to Lie- Nielsen you can do a tour of the machine shop if their not busy. I can recommend a few restaurants . What kind of food do you like ? There is a lot to see on the way up. Also there are a lot of shops to go through.

Thanks for the suggestions; I prefer restaurants where the locals visit, not the pretentious, i.e. I was at xxxxxxx for dinner and the wine list was to die for. We prefer relaxed kick back have a good time atmosphere.

Clifford Mescher
06-11-2008, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; I prefer restaurants where the locals visit, not the pretentious, i.e. I was at xxxxxxx for dinner and the wine list was to die for. We prefer relaxed kick back have a good time atmosphere.
My BIL talks about Freeport where L.L. Bean is located. They have outlet stores and there is a Thomas Moser furniture studio.Clifford

Don Bergren
06-11-2008, 3:18 PM
I live in Owls Head and am 1.2 miles from where Route 1 south turns onto Rockland's Main Street (also Route 1). We are slipping into summer mode here now but so far the tourists haven't hit hard at all. There is a lot to do here, but the most important thing is to enjoy the scenery and ocean views. One nice way to do that is taking a walk along Rockland's waterfront. There is a great boardwalk abutting the public landing that takes you around a section of the harbor right at the ocean's edge.

We have the Farnsworth Museum for the art lover, several other art galleries, and here in Owls Head we have the Owls Head Transportation Museum for those interested in antique cars, planes, etc. Just off Rockland's main street you can find the Maine Lighthouse Museum, which is all about lighthouses and their history. There are numerous shops to browse through with a lot to be seen that is within walking distance of the downtown.

A visit to the Owls Head Lighthouse can be nice, as well as walking out to the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. Car trips to both Rockport and Camden harbors give great harbor views, and pleasant surroundings that are within 12 miles of Rockland. A walk along Camden's Main Street and Bayview street is also very nice, and a visit to the top of Mt. Battie in Camden Hills State Park offers fantastic views of Penobscot Bay that are breathtaking. Perhaps a ferry ride to either Vinalhaven or North Haven and back would be a fun way to view the mainland and islands from the sea, or a ferry trip to Isleboro for a much shorter ride and beautiful views.

Rockland has a lot of restaurants to satisfy most any taste, with dining options that are too many to list. The locals will be in places like The Brass Compass (also has a small outside dining area right on main street) or The Rockland Cafe, as well as any number of other restaurants. The Landings Restaurant will have you seated on a deck at the oceans edge with views of moored boats and the public landing area. Amalfi looks out over the harbor and offers indoor dining with an outdoor view of the harbor. The Black Bull also offers dining on the sidewalk along Main Street, and The Second Read bookstore has tables on the sidewalk as well. My favorite restaurant this time of year is Chez Michel, located 15 miles up the coast in Lincolnville Beach. Also in Lincolnville Beach there is The Whales Tooth pub with outside ocean view dining, and McLaughlin's Harborside Restaurant & Picnic Area which is a pleasant spot with outside dining right on the ocean. While there are too many dining options to list, I can say that the prices and offerings available around here cover a wide range and there is something for everyone. I don't do justice to the dining options available, and feel guilty that I haven't been able to mention all of the great dining choices we have.

The Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce site at therealmaine.com has some information that may be helpful. The Camden-Rockport-Lincolnville Chamber of Commerce site is at camdenme.org and has helpful information.

Everything is tourist based this time of year, and many of us locals tend to hide out until the season ends. But it is a paradise here. I hate lobster, despise crowds, but I reluctantly tolerate tourists. :D

Bob Moyer
06-12-2008, 7:48 AM
I live in Owls Head and am 1.2 miles from where Route 1 south turns onto Rockland's Main Street (also Route 1). We are slipping into summer mode here now but so far the tourists haven't hit hard at all. There is a lot to do here, but the most important thing is to enjoy the scenery and ocean views. One nice way to do that is taking a walk along Rockland's waterfront. There is a great boardwalk abutting the public landing that takes you around a section of the harbor right at the ocean's edge.

We have the Farnsworth Museum for the art lover, several other art galleries, and here in Owls Head we have the Owls Head Transportation Museum for those interested in antique cars, planes, etc. Just off Rockland's main street you can find the Maine Lighthouse Museum, which is all about lighthouses and their history. There are numerous shops to browse through with a lot to be seen that is within walking distance of the downtown.

A visit to the Owls Head Lighthouse can be nice, as well as walking out to the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. Car trips to both Rockport and Camden harbors give great harbor views, and pleasant surroundings that are within 12 miles of Rockland. A walk along Camden's Main Street and Bayview street is also very nice, and a visit to the top of Mt. Battie in Camden Hills State Park offers fantastic views of Penobscot Bay that are breathtaking. Perhaps a ferry ride to either Vinalhaven or North Haven and back would be a fun way to view the mainland and islands from the sea, or a ferry trip to Isleboro for a much shorter ride and beautiful views.

Rockland has a lot of restaurants to satisfy most any taste, with dining options that are too many to list. The locals will be in places like The Brass Compass (also has a small outside dining area right on main street) or The Rockland Cafe, as well as any number of other restaurants. The Landings Restaurant will have you seated on a deck at the oceans edge with views of moored boats and the public landing area. Amalfi looks out over the harbor and offers indoor dining with an outdoor view of the harbor. The Black Bull also offers dining on the sidewalk along Main Street, and The Second Read bookstore has tables on the sidewalk as well. My favorite restaurant this time of year is Chez Michel, located 15 miles up the coast in Lincolnville Beach. Also in Lincolnville Beach there is The Whales Tooth pub with outside ocean view dining, and McLaughlin's Harborside Restaurant & Picnic Area which is a pleasant spot with outside dining right on the ocean. While there are too many dining options to list, I can say that the prices and offerings available around here cover a wide range and there is something for everyone. I don't do justice to the dining options available, and feel guilty that I haven't been able to mention all of the great dining choices we have.

The Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce site at therealmaine.com has some information that may be helpful. The Camden-Rockport-Lincolnville Chamber of Commerce site is at camdenme.org and has helpful information.

Everything is tourist based this time of year, and many of us locals tend to hide out until the season ends. But it is a paradise here. I hate lobster, despise crowds, but I reluctantly tolerate tourists. :D

Thanks alot, a ton of info and suggestions.

Bob Rufener
06-12-2008, 8:03 AM
About 4 years ago, my wife and I stayed in Rockland at a bed and breakfast called Captain Lindsay's (or Lindsey's). A very nice place and easy walking around town. We ate at a place on the dock. I believe people referred to it as the old fish shack. The menu was on a roll of butcher paper hanging near the entry door. Tables were covered with their finest linen (actually newspaper). The salad was served in a styrofoam take home container. Over the course of the evening, I had three pints of good beer and my wife had three glasses of wine. We each had two lobsters (served in a wooden bowl with pasta). The bill was $37. I couldn't believe it. Laid $50 on the table and said a big thank you. As you might imagine, the place was quite

Bob Rufener
06-12-2008, 8:05 AM
About 4 years ago, my wife and I stayed in Rockland at a bed and breakfast called Captain Lindsay's (or Lindsey's). A very nice place and easy walking around town. We ate at a place on the dock. I believe people referred to it as the old fish shack. The menu was on a roll of butcher paper hanging near the entry door. Tables were covered with their finest linen (actually newspaper). The salad was served in a styrofoam take home container. Over the course of the evening, I had three pints of good beer and my wife had three glasses of wine. We each had two lobsters (served in a wooden bowl with pasta). The bill was $37. I couldn't believe it. Laid $50 on the table and said a big thank you. As you might imagine, the place was quite busy.:):):):) (one smiley for each lobster) A memorable place.

Bob Moyer
06-12-2008, 8:38 AM
About 4 years ago, my wife and I stayed in Rockland at a bed and breakfast called Captain Lindsay's (or Lindsey's). A very nice place and easy walking around town. We ate at a place on the dock. I believe people referred to it as the old fish shack. The menu was on a roll of butcher paper hanging near the entry door. Tables were covered with their finest linen (actually newspaper). The salad was served in a styrofoam take home container. Over the course of the evening, I had three pints of good beer and my wife had three glasses of wine. We each had two lobsters (served in a wooden bowl with pasta). The bill was $37. I couldn't believe it. Laid $50 on the table and said a big thank you. As you might imagine, the place was quite

Thanks for the help, in Rockland we are staying at the Limerock Inn; in Oqunquit we are staying at the Almost Home Inn.