PDA

View Full Version : Boston Help Needed

Bob Moyer
06-11-2008, 11:16 AM
My wife and I are planning a weekend trip to Boston in September, we are staying at the Charlesmark, any suggestions on what to see, where to eat, ability to get a couple of Red Sox tickets

Thanks

jeremy levine
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Check out creeker Don Abele..USS CONSTITUTION in Boston, MA.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2008, 11:41 AM
As the leading petty officer aboard the USS CONSTITUTION, Don can get you a really special tour I'm sure!

Don Abele
06-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Bob, September is an excellent time in New England. The weather is starting to cool off and most of the tourists are thankfully going away.

There is lots to see and do in Boston. It's a good sized city, but has a fairly small city feel to it. Public transportation is excellent, cabs are expensive. The Charlesmark is off of Comm Ave west of center city between the river and the turnpike. While it's a little off the beat, you can easily still get to all the places I'd recommend with public transportation (parking is a PITA in the city). There's a "T" stop right by the hotel.

Museum of Natural Science
Museum of Fine Arts
Boston Common and the Public Gardrn
Fenway (for a tour if you can't get into the game)
Fanueil Hall/Qunicy Market
The Freedom Trail (we are located at the far end of it in Charlestown)

I transfer September 5th, but if you let me know date/time you'll be here I can arrange for a special tour of the ship if you are interested.

As for the Sox tickets, all I can say is good luck. They have a window that sells day of game tickets. Most are standing room only and they sell out pretty quick. Not only that, the line usually starts forming the night before the game! People here are CRAZY about the Sox (and I really must reemphasize the CRAZY part).

Be well,

Doc

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2008, 12:47 PM
If time and wife allows, for woodworking you might want to try the North Bennett Street School in the North End. It's about 3 doors down from the Old North Chuch of Paul Revere's Ride fame and is worth checking out also. The American furniture collection at the Museum of Fine Arts is fantastic if you're into period furniture.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2008, 1:58 PM
I would highly recommend touring the USS Constitution and the museum that is next to it. The carpenter shop is fascinating.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2008, 3:24 PM
Take in the BSO.

Steve Dewey
06-11-2008, 3:39 PM
For eats, go to the "North End" for out of this world Italian - almost any of the places are a good choice - ask the concierge for a recommendation.

For BoSox tix - good luck - and bring $$$$$ Perhaps stub hub or other ticket agency can help. Or as an alternate - visit one of the minor league games - Pawtucket (RI) Red Sox (PawSox), Portland (ME) Sea Dogs, Lowell (MA) Spinners etc.

Jon Crowley
06-11-2008, 4:32 PM
If you'd like to see an old school Irish bar, I highly recommend the Black Rose. Excellent food and entertainment.

For Red Sox tickets, there are usually "independent sellers" hanging out near the T stop by the stadium. Prices vary. ;) The tour of the stadium is great as well.

I'd like to second these places already mentioned:
Fanueil Hall/Qunicy Market
North End Italian food
Museum of Science

I lived in a Boston suburb until 2002. I've been living for several years in Ohio and haven't seen an episode of Norm the whole time until a few weeks ago. I just realized he has a wicked accent. :D Never noticed that when growing up. :o

Martin Shupe
06-11-2008, 4:51 PM
If time and wife allows, for woodworking you might want to try the North Bennett Street School in the North End. It's about 3 doors down from the Old North Chuch of Paul Revere's Ride fame and is worth checking out also. The American furniture collection at the Museum of Fine Arts is fantastic if you're into period furniture.

Thanks for the tip on the MFA. I'll have to catch that next time.

Bob Rufener
06-12-2008, 8:16 AM
I would suggest walking the freedom trail. Takes you past many of the historical sites in Boston. Fabulous history in Boston. I read the book "John Adams" by David McCullough before we made a trip out there. Excellent book. While there, we took a tour through his houses. Very interesting. If you have a chance, you might want to take in Lexington and Concord to see where the Revolutionary War got its "fighting" start. Boston-so little time and so much to see. Need to get back there some time. Enjoy your trip. September should be a great time of the year for Boston.