PDA

View Full Version : Information on Font Packages Please

James & Zelma Litzmann
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Good morning everyone, I do a lot of the flat glass picture frames with wedding invitations engraved on the glass. I have attached a picture of one I did for my daughter, I try to match the font exactly. This was the first one I did (family always the guinea pig) and I learned a lot from it so please don't judge all my work on this one. I know I made the invitation way too big and on the ones I do now I do indeed make them smaller.

Any how my dilemma is that every time someone wants one done I have to get a different font. Yesterday I received an order for three of these. The first one went great, had everything I needed, the other two I will have to purchase the fonts, which I need to do anyhow. What I need from you guys is you wisdom on purchasing commercial font packages . . . do you have any . . . wisdom and would you please share.

David Fairfield
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
A zillion free fonts available at www.dafont.com (http://www.dafont.com) One of my favorite sites on the internet. Their database lets you search by the font name. If they don't have it for free, they can send you to a pay site which does have it.

A few fonts don't let you save, as a copyright prevention, but you can convert the text into vector format before saving your document.

I wouldn't pay money for a font, unless the client ponied up for "special order." Can you scan the original invitation in black and white mode?

Nice job on the glass engraving!

Dave

Darren Null
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I use the free 'Chopin Script' font for everything, just about. Once people see it, they 9/10 times opt for it. Unless it's a logo or something that has to be matched.

Joe Pelonio
06-11-2008, 11:50 AM
There are other free font sites also, but do watch out, some are adware and use the free fonts to lure you.

I have accumulated about 15,000 fonts over the years, in some cases bought them and passed along the cost to suit a customer, but most have been free and I have never bought a package. Probably the largest collection came with Corel 5, which also had the most clipart.

Here's another good one:

http://www.fontstock.net/fontsA/

Barbara Buhse
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I use dafont.com a lot too... but when I do an engraving of a wedding invitation, I always tell the customer that I will match the font as closely as possible, but it may not be exact. I have never had anyone insist yet that it be exact. If they did insist, I'd probably charge extra. Chopin script is a great font, and sometimes plain old lucida calligraphy works well too.

David Fairfield
06-11-2008, 3:06 PM
Hey Joe

15,000 fonts eh? And I thought I was a font addict! :p Thanks for the link to the free site, I didn't know about that one, now I can try to catch up to you! I love browsing free fonts! :D

Dave

Frank Corker
06-11-2008, 3:56 PM
The rolling script font that you have used there looks like Shelley Allegro or Shelley Adante, in my opinion one of the best for this type of job. Easy Street is also similar and looks fantastic.

Bill Cunningham
06-12-2008, 9:39 PM
I've found a lot of useful ones here
http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts.html