PDA

View Full Version : 2nd batch of pens - Critique request

Joe D'Attilio
06-11-2008, 9:39 AM
FYI Sry bout the dark pics- I'm working on getting some better ligthing for pics.

The first is a Ladies Designer from PSI in 24Kt - Purple heart top, Tulipwood Bottom

2nd Classic Elite Fountain and Roller Ball w/ a Classic Letterhead also from PSI 24k Ebony with a Bloodwood segment THis set was made for a friend of the LOML who meets us for drinks and dinner frequently; good friend to have.

Thank for looking!

Rick Gibson
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Like the set with the letter opener. What finish did you use.
I suggest you hold on to the set for a week or two before you give them to the friend. Ebony is prone to crack and I have had it happen a couple weeks after I made pens from it. If it doesn't crack it makes great looking pens.

Joe D'Attilio
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Like the set with the letter opener. What finish did you use.
I suggest you hold on to the set for a week or two before you give them to the friend. Ebony is prone to crack and I have had it happen a couple weeks after I made pens from it. If it doesn't crack it makes great looking pens.

Thanks Rick

I went with good old EEE and Hut wax; I need help with the CA method, tried it tiwce and haven't had any luck

I'll keep that in mind about the Ebony as I have heard horror stories and this is my first full set, but Ihave made a slimline set with Ebony for mother's day...wondering if someone is too "motherly" to tell me it cracked...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rick Gibson
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't give up on the CA method. There are some videos out there on CA finish on some of the penturning sites. Best way is just turn a piece of wood and try one method if that doesn't work try another.

Grant Davis
06-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Joe, did you make the box for the set or purchase it somewhere?

Joe D'Attilio
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I purchased it. $7.95 - PSI