PDA

View Full Version : 2009 table saws - worth it to wait?

Prashun Patel
06-11-2008, 8:21 AM
I've heard that UL will be specifying riving knives as standard on 2009 produced tablesaws.

I've been looking to upgrade to a hybrid/low-end cabinet saw. Is it worth it to wait for 2009?

Do you guys anticipate that the price of the 2009 saws will be much higher than their current counterparts? i.e., do you think I'll be able to get a decent hybrid/low-end-cab saw for ~ $1000?

Jim Becker
06-11-2008, 9:31 AM
New models are required to have riving knives affective this past January. (2008) All saws require them effective 2014. There is another thread from a few days ago on this same topic.

Steven Wilson
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
If you want a riving knife then wait. If you don't care then buy one now, or wait until people start unloading their's when the new saws come out. Better yet, I've seen a few european combination machines for sale recently (some on the creek) that look lightly used. I would buy one of them and have a slider, shaper, jointer, planer, and oh yeah riving knife.

Terry Browne
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
If you're going to buy a new saw - I would do it now! Prices are going nowhere but up because of the steady decline in the value of the dollar and the high cost of shipping due to fuel prices. That advice probably holds true with any major purchase you may be considering in the next 12 to 18 months.

Tim Marks
06-11-2008, 3:31 PM
Not to mention that steel prices have riisen significantly in the 6 months and are still climbing. I expect comapnies like Grizzly will be putting a significant price hike (10-20%) on most of their products with the new year catalog, and everyone else will probably already have raised their prices by then.

Prashun Patel
06-11-2008, 3:47 PM
Good points; thanks.