PDA

View Full Version : Plane Gloat

Russ Hauser
06-11-2008, 7:39 AM
I just added the largest and smallest planes to my collection of users. The No. 8 (Type 9) joiner, and a No. 75 bullnose plane.

The No. 8 came in great condition, very little corrosion, and most of the Japaning intact. The frog has a repaired crack near the top that doesn't seem to effect the plane's performance. All I have done is refinish the knob and tote, and sharpen the blade. There's not much left of the blade, so I'll be ordering a Hock in the near future. No. 8 blades are no longer available from Stanley.

The No. 75 had a little surface Corrosion that I removed with various grits of wet/dry and WD-40 on a piece of plate glass. Also "Scary Sharpened' with the same method.

I included pics of my entire collection including my No. 4 (Type 15) and N0. 5C (Type 8). Both planes had a lot of corrosion and pitting. I removed the rust on both with electrolysis, and lapped the botom and sides to remove as much of the pitting as I could. The knob and totes were refinished on both planes, and the adjustment knob and all screws were replaced on the No. 5. The adjustment knob had seen a lot of abuse.

The two larger wooden planes are krenov type construction and are hard maple or beach. The smaller "Coffin" style plane is also of built-up construction, and is hard maple as well. I made all of them in 1985 and 1986. I was building an acoustical guitar and needed a plane to join the front and back "book marked" halves, Thus the joiner. I built the other "Krenov" type as a scrub plane to thickness the sides, and front and back pieces of the guitar. I got kinda caught up in the making of planes and built the coffin plane because of the different construction, and for use as a smoother. All the planes have Hock blades and chip breakers.

I hope no one finds this self serving or too long.

Russ