PDA

View Full Version : Will Laminate be okay as a large backsplash behind cooktop?

Craig Mitchell
06-11-2008, 1:59 AM
Will Laminate be okay as a large backsplash behind cooktop? I'm thinking a large square panel of Formica or Wilsonart behind my 36 inch cooktop instead of tile.

Anyone know if it will hold up to any sort of heat issues I might have?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
06-11-2008, 9:42 AM
That's what was in our home when we bought it back in 1999. (Sadly, it was also...orange)

You are probably fine with the laminate as long as your back burners are not right on the wall. Check the specs on your range--many of them will give council on this. There are also metalics available. But don't overlook the stainless backsplash kits...they are not that expensive in the scope of things. I used a Broan kit.

Matt Ocel
06-11-2008, 5:59 PM
Yeah -

What Garth Brooks, I mean, what Jim said.:D

Craig Mitchell
06-11-2008, 7:54 PM
I was just wondering if the heat would create a bubble issue. Anyone have any negative experiences with it?

Brandon Shew
06-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think that you'd have to worry about it catching fire.

Are you going to buy a thin sheet and glue it to the wall or another board attached to the wall, or are you going to buy the countertop thickness material. If you're going to glue a thin sheet up, make sure the glue you use can stand the heat w/o drying out.

Craig Mitchell
06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't think that you'd have to worry about it catching fire.

Are you going to buy a thin sheet and glue it to the wall or another board attached to the wall, or are you going to buy the countertop thickness material. If you're going to glue a thin sheet up, make sure the glue you use can stand the heat w/o drying out.

Exactly, I was going to attach it to a thin board and then attach that on the wall behind the cooktop. They have some cool metallic styles that I think might work well.... Perhaps I could just put up the countertop thickness without attaching it to a board first.... but it seems like it might be a bit flimsy. Any thoughts pro/con on this are welcome.