PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Whidbey Island

Jim Barrett
04-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Hello,
I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. I am getting back into woodworking after a 5 yr hiatus. I recently purchased a MM 300 S combo machine and a MM 16 bandsaw. I have an Oneida 2hp DC system on order and I am still "organizing" my 2 car garage/workshop.
I am amazed on how much the price of wood has gone up over the past 5 years, geesh.... glad I still have ~100bf of 4/4 cherry I never sold.
Looking forward to contributing here. Looks like a great bunch of woodworkers.
For those of you not familiar with the Pacific Northwest...my home is on Whidbey Island, about 35 miles north of Seattle, head up I-5 hang a left to Mukilteo and take a 20 minute ferry ride, maybe see some whales or a pod of orcas!
Take care!
JimB :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2004, 1:21 AM
Jim,

Welcome to the 'Creek. Just joined a few months ago, myself. Wonderful place full of good advice and good people.

I know where Whidbey is. Toured the San Juans a few years ago on a "milk run" ferry. My youngest son was a crew member of the USS Carl Vinson stationed in Bremerton. Went there often.

Again, WELCOME!

Glenn Clabo
04-14-2004, 5:16 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jim...I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Frank Pellow
04-14-2004, 6:25 AM
Welcome Jim. We live in Toronto now, but spent from 1997 to 2003 in the Seattle area. During that time, my wife and I visited Whidbey Island a number of times. It is a very relaxing place with the right pace of life and I imagine that it will have the ideal atmosphere for woodworking.

If you participate, you will obtain a lot of valuable information on this forum. I have been as member for a little more than a month and, looking back, I am truly amazed at how much I have learned during that time.

As well as scanning, the new threads it is very much worthwhile to go through the old threads looking for things of interest. I am still finding out new things that way.

Todd Burch
04-14-2004, 7:10 AM
Welcome Jim!

Dick Parr
04-14-2004, 7:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jim, I know exactly where you are at. Made the ferry ride a lot of times. I use to go over and hunt the little dear you have on the island with some friends that live on the island. I lived in Everett and Marysville for about 7 years. The wife use to love the ride over on the ferry and the long ride back around through desption pass. We left in 87 to come to TN. The northwest sure is some pretty country, some of the nicest we ever lived in. I use to visit a couple of times a year on business and am glad I don’t have to pay those prices for wood where I live. I would have to give up the hobby. :p

Again, welcome to the Creek.

Keith Starosta
04-14-2004, 7:22 AM
Welcome, Jim!! Glad to have ya aboard. Enjoy your time at the Creek!

In a former life, my wife lived on Whidbey Island with her ex. She's told me all about it and how beautiful it is. I was actually born in Tacoma, but my father was reassigned when I was three weeks old, and I haven't been back. I hope to one day head out that way.

Keith

Ron McNeil
04-14-2004, 7:25 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Jim.

Ted Shrader
04-14-2004, 7:50 AM
Jim -

Welcome to the Creek. Great place to hang out, good bunch of folks.

Ted

Jim Becker
04-14-2004, 8:25 AM
Welcome aboard, Jim! Sounds like you are setting up a fine shop to get back in the game--no complaints about MM from me! I look forward to your posts and pictures.

Kent Cori
04-14-2004, 9:15 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jim. Hop on in with the rest of us and wade around a bit. You'll find the people here to be terrific and their advice of immesureable value.

Tyler Howell
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Welcome Jim, The Creek is deep and swift. It can take you a long way. Sounds like you have a lot to share;)

Don Abele
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Jim, welcome to the creek. The guys and gals here are great people, very friendly and extremely informative. BTW, you get a penalty for the stealth gloat :p Again, welcome.

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Jim, we like pictures...LOTS of them...post often...post many! :) Oh, and glad to have you aboard the USS SMC! I have a buddy in Seattle and he took us on a tour of Whidbey Island. He sent me a couple pics of this event at Deception Pass that happend recently. My wife and I recall walking along there...very scary!

Lloyd Frisbee
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I have been across that bridge to visit a friend in Oak Harbor. It was very windy when we were there. Welcome to SMC.

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
The strange part...the truck is on the wrong side of the road! It must have been VERY windy to push the truck to the other side and nearly over the bridge!

Jim Barrett
04-14-2004, 1:41 PM
Jim, we like pictures...LOTS of them...post often...post many! :) Oh, and glad to have you aboard the USS SMC! I have a buddy in Seattle and he took us on a tour of Whidbey Island. He sent me a couple pics of this event at Deception Pass that happend recently. My wife and I recall walking along there...very scary!

Yes I remember that day...it was very windy and they do get quite a bit of wind up there at Deception Pass. I live on Mutiny Bay, we are sheltered a little bit from the wind but it does howl at times....
JimB

Erik Stol
04-14-2004, 4:46 PM
Hello Jim,

Welcome to SMC. Although I do live in The Netherlands, BTW nice tulips at this time of year, I do know exactly where Whidbey Island is located. The father of one of my best friends, who is actually an American, lives on Whidbey Island. A couple of weeks ago they visited us in Holland and invited us for a holiday next year on ... Whidbey Island. to see the Seatlle/Vancouver area.

Erik Stol

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 5:30 PM
Hi Erik,

Cool to see some more folks over the pond posting here. I once saw a whole dilly on The Discovery Channel on the dikes/levees that attempt to keep the water out of Amsterdam. Looked like a real difficult place to live! :) --reminded me of all the flooding the Mississippi did back in the late 80s....

Boyd Gathwright
04-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Jim,
<O:p</O:p

It sounds like your shop is well equipped. You’ll have to post some pics. That’s a nice part of the country where you live.

Welcome aboard and hope to hear more from you soon.

Boyd ;)

Hello,
I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. I am getting back into woodworking after a 5 yr hiatus. I recently purchased a MM 300 S combo machine and a MM 16 bandsaw. I have an Oneida 2hp DC system on order and I am still "organizing" my 2 car garage/workshop.
I am amazed on how much the price of wood has gone up over the past 5 years, geesh.... glad I still have ~100bf of 4/4 cherry I never sold.
Looking forward to contributing here. Looks like a great bunch of woodworkers.
For those of you not familiar with the Pacific Northwest...my home is on Whidbey Island, about 35 miles north of Seattle, head up I-5 hang a left to Mukilteo and take a 20 minute ferry ride, maybe see some whales or a pod of orcas!
Take care!
JimB :D

Bart Leetch
04-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Wow another Islander Jim you live about 40-45 minutes from me here on the island. Welcome to the Creek & the Island. I hope that we'll get together from time to time.

Get help to install & set up your new MM machine.

Here is tool review over on Woodcentral

(Search for Minimax Review Article at Woodcentral)

:) :) :)