PDA

View Full Version : Major Gloat!!!

Tyler Howell
06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry, took a while with closing on the house, moving, moving my daughter across country but I took time today to get this gloat out.

I tried to sneak in and out of Philly for a little ceremony. As it turned out I was recruited for many more duties as assigned so I drove both ways.
I tried a little creeker gathering with Jim Becker and got lost in the subway. Next time Jim, thanks for the invite!!

My oldest just graduated from Temple School of Medicine. A grand time was had by all. Dined at Moshulu. Even hanging with the X was pleasant and festive.
Kirstin starts her residency at Mount Sinai in Chicago next week. She's headed for trauma surgeon, and will get lots of hands on there.
Proud parent.
Tyler
Live Like You Mean It!

Don Abele
06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Tyler, congratulations. That is a MAJOR gloat for both you and your daughter.

Chicago and trauma - nahhh...don't seem to fit together :p I've been to Mount Sinai. I did a rotation through there for community health in the early-90's. Beautiful, state of the art facility (at that time). Fond (and interesting) memories of my time there.

BTW, that bridge in the background of the Moshulu is the Ben Franklin over the Delaware River. The next one just south is the Walt Whitman, I grew up just six blocks from it! I've been to Penn's Landing many a time. I have not had the opportunity to dine at the Moshulu, but I will the next time I'm visiting my parents. It boasts the claim that it's the largest four-masted ship afloat in the world. This I have to see (especially seeing where I currently work!).

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Congrats Tyler to you and your daughter!

Tyler Howell
06-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks Don,
The food (and prices) on Moshulu were fabulous.
I had to tell some of the help what type of a craft it was.
It is a beautiful venue and as stated, food and service were out of this world.

We visited your place of business when Kirstin Graduated from Tufts where she did her undergrad studies.

PS I'm signing on a 50' steal hulled schooner for the summer as an ABS.
Working on my 100 ton cert and hope to be ship's master some day.

Don Abele
06-11-2008, 7:58 AM
...I'm signing on a 50' steal hulled schooner for the summer as an ABS. Working on my 100 ton cert and hope to be ship's master some day.

Good luck Tyler, that'll be another major gloat as well.

With us not sailing for the next two years while we undergo our refurb, I have guys on square-rigged ships all over the place: the Friendship (Salem, MA), the Brig Niagra (Eerie, PA), and the USCGC Barque Eagle (somewhere off the west coast right now). It's tough to find a square-rigger that is similar to ours and still operational (manually) that we can train on. The Niagra and Eagle are the best two, we've been using them for years.

Be well,

Doc

Chuck Saunders
06-11-2008, 8:13 AM
You couldn't knock that grin off Tyler's face Barry Bond swinging the 2x4. Congrats

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2008, 8:33 AM
Hot stuff~!!
I'm happy for you all.

Joe Mioux
06-11-2008, 9:13 AM
Life is good for Tyler!

Great gloat and Congrats to Kirstin.

joe

Jim Becker
06-11-2008, 9:17 AM
Congratulations, Tyler!!

(The girls say you better make it next time... ;) ...and you don't want to raise the hackles of the little Russian Princesses...:))

jeremy levine
06-11-2008, 9:44 AM
That is a gloat. I can't wait to say one of mine "has graduated", but medical school WOW.

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Congratulations to both you and your daughter. I remember her from the 5 Barns picnic 3 years ago, a beautiful young woman. So did you realize that Alan Turner's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop is only about 3/4 of a mile from the Temple Medical School? You could have walked over there in about 10 minutes.

Warren Johnson
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Tyler,

You should be very proud.

Art Mulder
06-11-2008, 1:33 PM
The food (and prices) on Moshulu were fabulous.

Hmm,

I was in downtown Philly ... 4-5 years ago for a conference, and I toured the Becuna (submarine) and Olympia (Cruiser from 1890), which are both fun things to tour. Strange that I don't remember seeing the Moshulu. Oh well.

At 6'3" I would have never made it in the Navy. Every Navy ship I've toured, from these in Philly, to the Midway (air craft carrier) in San Diego, to the submarine (forget the name) in San Francisco, and even the German U-boat at the museum in Chicago... they're all built for shorter folks.

...art

ps: congratulations on the offspring! Exciting!

Lori Kleinberg
06-11-2008, 2:22 PM
Wow Tyler, that is fantastic for both you and her. Imagine a doctor in the family. Trauma medicine is certainly an exciting field, and if Chicago is anything like NYC, she'll probably pick up a little experience :eek::D

Phyllis Meyer
06-11-2008, 2:31 PM
Tyler,

Please tell your daughter congratulations! And congratulations to the proud Dad!!! That is a wonderful accomplishment!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Bruce Page
06-11-2008, 2:35 PM
Congratulations Tyler!
A shining moment for both of you!

Chris Padilla
06-11-2008, 2:54 PM
Wow...that is so awesome. My little one is 6 going on 16 (it seems at times) but I'm sure the time will come all too soon!

Congratulations to the Howell family!!

Mitchell Andrus
06-11-2008, 4:05 PM
Congrats to your daughter, and to you.

My eldest son lives in Chicago. He loves it - never pegged him for an urchin of the city but.... Make sure she gets to Adam's Ribs waaayyy down south of the city (M*A*S*H episode) I've been to Chicago twice and still haven't been there.

I hope she does well, she's off to a good start.

When you get a picture of you and the grad. by the jelly bean (you'll find out soon enough) post it here.

Scott Donley
06-11-2008, 5:21 PM
Congrat's to you and your Daughter ! My smile might be about the same this Friday so I know how your feeling :D

Karl Laustrup
06-11-2008, 5:21 PM
Congrats to the Howell family.

With the daughter taking up residency in Chi Town, I'm guessing you'll be making a trip or two from the hinterlands.

I do hope you can see fit to pull in and visit. Food is always available.

Karl

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2008, 8:08 PM
Congrats Tyler and to your daughter as well..!!!!! :cool:

Dave Ray
06-11-2008, 9:02 PM
Congrats to you and your daughter Tyler. That smile on your face tells the story.

Jim O'Dell
06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
I'll add my CONGRATS also Tyler. I know you can all tell in Tyler's writings that he is very proud of his daughter, but you should here him talk about her in person!!!! :D Jim.

Phil Thien
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Proud parent.
Tyler

I know if I were you I'd have a smile on my face that you wouldn't be able to pry off w/ a crowbar. And a sense of satisfaction to go with it. :D

Tyler Howell
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks Folks,
In this day and age you don't hear about the good things young people are doing. I was so impressed with some of the accomplishments of Kiri and her class mates.
Something that blew me away were the the number of family members that attended Temple Med School.
There were parents, sibs, spouces and grand parents that are doctors, stood on stage and handed diplomas to the new graduates.
One young man had three generations of Drs. in the family.
Another young lady was honored by her 2 sisters, also MDs.

The world should be getting healthy real soon with all this talent.
Thanks again.

Mike Wilkins
06-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the HUGE milestone!!! It may take a while for that grin to leave your mug after this event. Got a few more years and I will be there when my youngest gets her law degree after undergrad at UNC.
Sounds like you are looking for some serious adventure with the ships master training. Good luck and have fun.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Hmm,

At 6'3" I would have never made it in the Navy. Every Navy ship I've toured, from these in Philly, to the Midway (air craft carrier) in San Diego, to the submarine (forget the name) in San Francisco, and even the German U-boat at the museum in Chicago... they're all built for shorter folks.

...art

Art,

I'm 6'1". I did just fine. I saw guys your height on ships and subs in the Navy. The thing you have to watch out for are your shins! Those water tight hatches are tough on shins when you are scrambling for GQ!

Ken Werner
06-12-2008, 8:55 PM
Congratulations to you and to Dr. Howell.
You done good, sir.

Al Willits
06-13-2008, 8:44 AM
Say T, next time you see your daughter, I have this pain in my lower back..you wanna ask her what it is?? :D:D

Congrats, life is very good for you now, was a bit hecktic there for a bit.

Don't forget to stop by when your in the old neighborhood.

Al

Brian Weick
06-13-2008, 8:47 AM
That is a wonderful experience when your kids achieve their goals ~ a job well done Al!
Brian

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 8:53 AM
Your gal rocks!

Mark Singer
06-13-2008, 9:10 AM
Tyler,
That is great! Congratulations!

Bob Moyer
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry, took a while with closing on the house, moving, moving my daughter across country but I took time today to get this gloat out.

I tried to sneak in and out of Philly for a little ceremony. As it turned out I was recruited for many more duties as assigned so I drove both ways.
I tried a little creeker gathering with Jim Becker and got lost in the subway. Next time Jim, thanks for the invite!!

My oldest just graduated from Temple School of Medicine. A grand time was had by all. Dined at Moshulu. Even hanging with the X was pleasant and festive.
Kirstin starts her residency at Mount Sinai in Chicago next week. She's headed for trauma surgeon, and will get lots of hands on there.
Proud parent.
Tyler
Live Like You Mean It!

Congratulations - I know how much work she needed to do, my nephew just entered his 4th year of Med School at Temple.

Steven Wilson
06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Congratulations Tyler, the wallet biopsy is complete !!.