PDA

View Full Version : I love my wood screw

Les Kuesel
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I really like the wood screw that came with my nova G3 it has not failed me yet even with wood under a 1/2" thick. My problem I only have one chuck and like to use the cole jaws for it. It is really hard to use the cole and screw together. So Is there a wood screw only that will fit on a 1" by 8 tpi shaft that holds good. I have the bottle stopper screw but have found out it will strip out because it has fine threads.

Bill Blasic
06-11-2008, 6:50 AM
Craft Supplies used to sell screw center faceplates (2 different kinds) and someone has the glaser screw chuck (but on backorder and you don't know if they will ever get to the market place). These are all strictly screw chucks.

Gordon Seto
06-11-2008, 8:59 AM
If you have patience, this is the best screw chuck. By reversing the collar, it can be a 1½", 2½" and 3½" chuck.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=glaser+screw&btnSearch=GO&Page=1

I ordered one with extra screw in January. To Highland's credit, they ship the screw to me immediately. That should have cost extra shipping. They put customer service ahead of profit. I am still waiting for the back order Glaser screw chuck. On May 4th, the CEO of CET Inc (manufacturer of the Glaser Tools) posted in another forum that they are producing a large quantity of this chuck. It has been over a month, I am still waiting.
I am extremely satisfied with the service from Highland Hardware, my credit card was not charged for what has not been shipped. They replied to my emails promptly about the status of the back order.

I hope I don't have to wait till Mr. Jerry Glaser comes back from retirement.

john taliaferro
06-11-2008, 1:34 PM
i would wait. some where i have jerrys e mail . john t

Scott Hubl
06-11-2008, 2:48 PM
For $110.00 and having to wait for one to ship, if ever.

I think IMHO you would be best served by buying another chuck, you just can't have too many chucks.

Much more versatile and less swapping out of jaw sets.

You can make a screw chuck easily, just do a Google search.

Gordon Seto
06-11-2008, 3:37 PM
As long as they can still maintain the quality when Mr. Jerry Glaser had the company, I would be happy to wait. They were never bargain priced; the design and quality was always second to none. Now the wait is getting longer, much longer with the new owner.

All my chucks came with screws, but they are bulky to use on smaller turnings. The Glaser screw chuck is more compact, less overhang from headstock and more access next to head stock.

Joshua Dinerstein
06-11-2008, 5:21 PM
I made one of these from Darrell Feltmate's site and I have been very pleased with it:

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/schuck.shtml

It is just a very normal approach. A tapped screw on block of hardwood, surely we all have at least 1 piece..., and then a screw through it and bingo! A simple screw chuck.

I bought a large tap set at harbor Freight less than 24 hours after I ordered the "special" Beall one online. I needed a more sized normal tap for a piece of metal I was working on and found that the kit came with a 1"x8tpi tap from HF. Anyone want to buy the Beall one from me? :)

End result for me has been extremely successful. I played with screws/bolts a bit and finally found a few I really liked from Home Depot.

Joshua

Gordon Seto
06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
The Glaser screw is stainless steel hardened screw with thin threads that is special designed for cutting the groove and leaving enough wood for support. It would hold better than regular screws which crush the wood fiber.

I have made some home made screw chucks for turning smaller objects like wine stoppers.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/GlaserScrew009.jpg

Scott Conners
06-12-2008, 3:35 AM
If making your own isn't your style, try searching www.woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com) for "screw", you'll see tons of options of screws, faceplate screws, screws with morse tapers, screws for chucks.