PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Wars

Robin Cruz
06-10-2008, 7:01 PM
What do woodworkers say, "He who dies with the most clamps wins"? I glued up a bent lam for rocking chair rockers and a backer. I had to dig deep for clamps and even bought a few C-clamps. A picture is attached.

I got curious and counted up all my clamps......171. To be fair these include many small spring and C-clamps I inherited from my Dad who was a model ship builder, but I believe the official scorer's book indicates those count. Im sure Im not done, as a have a few years left and no doubt will find need for another clamp or two.

Thanks for those who offered tips on the bent lamination techniques.

Jim Becker
06-10-2008, 8:22 PM
The best clamps are always the ones you actually have at hand...nice work on that lamination!

George Sanders
06-10-2008, 9:23 PM
There is no such thing as too many clamps. I seem to wish I had a few more every time I clamp something up. Nice lamination too.

Peter Quinn
06-10-2008, 9:24 PM
Holy stack of clamps Batman. I smell vacuum bag in your future.

Steve Clardy
06-10-2008, 9:27 PM
Lets see...

Cabinet Masters
Pipe clamps
Spring clamps
C-clamps
F-style bar clamps
Edge clamps
Alum bar clamps
I-beam clamps

Somewhere around 450 total

:o

Gary Herrmann
06-10-2008, 9:56 PM
Lets see...
Somewhere around 450 total
:o

Holy cr@p!

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Next time you do this, try making a two piece form:

Then it only takes a few pipe or bar clamps....

John Schreiber
06-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Then it only takes a few pipe or bar clamps....
You won't win any clamp wars that way.:D

I think I'm at about 15. I can imagine a use for at least another 100 without batting an eye though.

Charles P. Wright
06-11-2008, 9:25 AM
You won't win any clamp wars that way.:D

I think I'm at about 15. I can imagine a use for at least another 100 without batting an eye though.
I'm at 14.
4 $0.99 Spring Clamps
2 4" C Clamps
2 10" Wooden Hand Screw
2 Corner Clamps
2 6" Quick Grip
2 36" Quick Grip Xp

The only ones not on sale were the 6" Quick Grip and the C Clamps.

J. Z. Guest
06-11-2008, 9:37 AM
Charles, I sure do like my quick grip clamps. They're not parallel, but being able to position and tighten them with one hand while I keep things aligned with the other is damned handy.

Now that the new 500 lb. clamping pressure quick grips are out, those can almost replace regular bar clamps.

Charles P. Wright
06-11-2008, 9:49 AM
Charles, I sure do like my quick grip clamps. They're not parallel, but being able to position and tighten them with one hand while I keep things aligned with the other is damned handy.

Now that the new 500 lb. clamping pressure quick grips are out, those can almost replace regular bar clamps.
Those are the ones I have from Lowes for 1/2 off. I would like more of them, but they are kind of spendy full price.

My next clamp aquisitions are likely to be a couple of larger spring clamps (I still use lots of hand held power tools, so having something quick to hold the workpiece without marring it is really useful). Either that or some pipe clamps so I can do some case work.

alex grams
06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
i love the big open jaw vice grip clamps with the flat faces (the kind you use with the small pocket hole jig), those things are so dang convenient.

All told:

About 18 parallel clamps (9 24", 2 31", 6 40", 2 50")ish
another 10 block clamps
maybe half a dozen various sized hand/spring/C-clamps
4 large heavy duty bar clamps

So, around 20-25 or so, but i am keeping an eye out in case a lowe's gets more bessey clamps i can nab that are 24", and I would like a couple more C clamps.

David DeCristoforo
06-11-2008, 11:14 AM
"You won't win any clamp wars that way..."

Well that all depends on how you define "winning".....

Mike Spanbauer
06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Another consideration for those who are still aspiring to collect more... Cauls are your friend :)

They do a great job of assisting with the glue ups where you don't have a clamp throat deep enough to reach the point you wish or you simply don't have enough clamps for a project they are nice. Zig makes some very nice ones (have a set and have used them several times each).

That said... I do possess quite a load of clamps too... 70 or so K-bodies, 18 or so Jorgie Cab masters, 80 or so bessey f clamps, dozen hand screws, couple dozen C clamps, 6 strap clamps... and probably another 20-30 odd ones. So, 200 or so.

mike

David DeCristoforo
06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
OK, I think we need a clarification here. The answer to the question of how many clamps you own is not necessarily the same as the answer to the question of how many clamps you need. I have always subscribed to the theory that there is no such thing as "enough" clamps. But, there are times when you do not necessarily want to use all of your clamps on one glue-up. The reasons for this are many. You might not have time to get all of your clamps into place before the glue starts to go off. Or you might have to do two (or more) glue-ups at the same time. It is at these times when things like muti-part forms, cauls, etc. come in handy. But this should not be seen as a limiting factor in our quest toward the ultimate goal of owning as many clamps as possible.

Robin Cruz
06-11-2008, 3:31 PM
those Bowclamps are interesting approach. As expected, I have been immediately humbled. Maybe ill buy a clamp now and again, but no way will I ever compete against the masters!

Per Swenson
06-11-2008, 8:13 PM
Need, have and want,

all all different answers.

How many do I want? all of them.

How many do I have? some of them.

How many do I need?

As many clamps as I can apply in under 5 minutes, per unit.

Per

Chris Barnett
06-11-2008, 9:41 PM
See I need to get myself to the clamp store...but first, need to study the K-body [bar] vs pipe clamps. Can put a lot more squeeze on with the pipe clamp...when its needed....and normally not and just finger pressure will work just fine...iff'in I cut it right.
How many clamps do I have...not enough sometimes and too many othertimes.

I just realized :eek: I can use a Bessey clamp extender to make my longer clamps longer only when needed. Take a 60 inch clamp and cut for say, 16 inches. Keep the end. Move lower screw section part to upper end for normal usage. Or move screw section to lower end and attach extender when longer clamp is needed. Always had assumed one needed two distinct clamps to use the extender. Now to find a cheap source of extenders.....and cheap 60 inch K-body Besseys. Uh oh, bet the extender price just went up.

glenn bradley
06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
LOML never understood the never ending clamp acquisition till she saw a glue up in progress.

Vince Shriver
06-12-2008, 1:17 AM
those Bowclamps are interesting approach. As expected, I have been immediately humbled. Maybe ill buy a clamp now and again, but no way will I ever compete against the masters!

I have made something similiar to the bowclamp by planing the last third of a 2x4 (both ends, leaving the center third alone). No real trick to this, and they work great -- and this is not to take away from the legitimate bowclamp, which is a great clamping device.

Randal Stevenson
06-12-2008, 2:01 AM
See I need to get myself to the clamp store...but first, need to study the K-body [bar] vs pipe clamps. Can put a lot more squeeze on with the pipe clamp...when its needed....and normally not and just finger pressure will work just fine...iff'in I cut it right.
How many clamps do I have...not enough sometimes and too many othertimes.

Now THAT (the clamp store), is one I want pictures of. NOTHING BUT CLAMPS.:eek:

I am sorry sir, you can't park there, you have to clamp your car to that spot.:cool: