PDA

View Full Version : First set of tools

Alan Trout
06-10-2008, 6:32 PM
Hi, I am going to be acquiring a mini/midi lathe in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a good starter tool set. I understand that the cheaper sets don't have the best steel but many appear to be serviceable. Especially since I will be getting into the swing of sharpening and would hate to mess up a nice tool.

This set http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html is what I am looking at. These seems to be a logical first set at a reasonable price that should handle a beginning turners needs. Seems to have useful tools but not bloated with items you don't need.

Of course I understand that I am about to step onto a slippery slope. :D But just looking for opinions if this set is a reasonable choice.

Thanks,

Alan

Belton Garvin
06-10-2008, 7:21 PM
I recently started turning myself last year. I would say to get a reasonably inexpensive set to start with. HF has a set for around $40. You don't yet know which tools you will use the most or not at all. Once you get the hang of things (sharpening, techniques) you can go out and spend a little extra on the ones you will get the most use out of. I have a set I picked up from Sears for about $60, probably no better than the HF set. Just my .02

Paul Douglass
06-10-2008, 7:42 PM
Listen to the man. That HF set will let you know which tools you like to use. I bought their set 3 years ago and I has started buying some more expensive one of the type I use most. I still use my HF tools as much as any.

Gordon Seto
06-10-2008, 7:43 PM
Get a copy of the current issue (Summer 2008) of American Woodturner. Alan Lacer has an article "Putting the Steel to the Test". It has steel analysis and hardness test.

The HSS steel for the Sears tool was M50, which is normally used for bearings, it has low wear resistance.
The Benjamin's Best from EBay and Bodger from Highland Hardware were not up to HSS steel standard, and the sample from Penn State has low hardness.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-10-2008, 8:20 PM
I usually direct new students towards the Harbor Freight HSS set in the wooden box. May now be the $40.00 set mentioned before. I agree that the Penn State set is a little high priced for a starter set.

Bruce

Alan Trout
06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks folks, I guess I will go to HF and get a set and then dig me up a bowl gouge somewhere.

Thanks again

Alan

Mitchell Cholewinski
06-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Alan
I guess in every crowd there is a descenting voice and I guess in this crowd I have a different opinion. I would buy the first tool I think I will need most and it will be a good tool, not cheap Learn how to use this tool well and buy one at a time in this manner. Get a bowl gouge a parting tool, and a roughing gouge. This is an expensive hobby and right off the git go you better learn that it is going to cost you plenty. Get good tools and learn how to sharpen from a good sharpening system or your not going to get good results.Don't be fooled with them starter kits, them tool company's want to make money and they do from guys looking for something for nothing. Your not going to ruin them by sharpeng wrong. Learn to do it right and do it. Whatever you do, good luck and welcome to the great world of turning. Mitch

Paul Douglass
06-11-2008, 9:28 AM
Cheap does not always mean they are not good. Like I said, I have bought some more "expensive" tools but I still use the HF often. What if the tool you think you need most is not really the one. You won't know until you try different ones. I feel taking a stab and buying what you think you might use could lead to frustration and waste some money.

Now this being said, I have only turned small stuff, small bowls, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. I'm sure that if you want to get into the bigger stuff and do hollow forms and such, than you will need an upgrade.

Marvin Hasenak
06-11-2008, 9:39 AM
The HF set for $40 lets you get past the learning curve of sharpening your tools without ruining a high dollar tool. It is easier on the pocket book to waste a $5 tool than sharpening away a more expensive quality tool just to learn how to sharpen it.

Marvin

Matt Day
06-11-2008, 9:49 AM
Check out my thread from last week:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85836

I'm going with the set of Benjamin's Best. $52.80 shipped from Amazon.

Alan Trout
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, I took both the cheap and good Approach. I Did go and get the HF set which was a total of $40 including tax. I figured It would allow me to at least turn a handle for my new 1/2" V Thompson Bowl Gouge that I ordered. I e-mailed Doug and ask his opinion on which bowl gouge he would suggest for a beginner. His suggestion was to get a 1/2" V gouge and go from there. He said not to buy too many tools. "Learn to use one tool well and then you will see the need to add another." He seems to be a really nice guy with a interest in helping new turners such as myself. I think this should be a pretty good setup to get going. I should be able to accumulate all the stuff I need over the next few weeks so I can get turning. I can see many thousands of dollars leaving my possession over my turning future. :D

Thanks,

Alan