PDA

View Full Version : Oneway=Twoway

Clifford Mescher
06-10-2008, 6:24 PM
FWW mag. has short piece of new lathe by Oneway. Rotate it 90º and you can sit down while turning. I do not own a lathe. Is this one I might like? Says it is good for people with bad backs and people in wheelchair.Clifford

Kennneth Sain
06-10-2008, 7:59 PM
I have found sitting on a tall stool helps my tired back when turning. It works for me because I am tall. The idea of sitting in a chair sounds scary to me, however, if necessity mandates it give it some serious thought. Leverage and control are really important. Protecting yourself from catches and "airborne" projects are also critical issues.:confused::):eek::mad:

Jim Becker
06-10-2008, 8:09 PM
Although I feel there is a limited market for this particular machine, given OneWay's general "made to order" business, it's good to see this innovative offering for folks who, for whatever reason, will find comfort bing seated while turning. Personally, I would find it uncomfortable in that position as body movement is important to my current turning technique, however.

Allen Neighbors
06-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I spent a couple of years as a volunteer AB with a nature organization for paraplegics. A para or quad has to master many different techniques for many different jobs, and wood turning would require the same disciplines.
A group from the aforementioned organization climbed Guadalupe Peak (the highest hill in Texas), by using their arms, dragging their wheelchairs up, using ropes in their teeth and around their necks. But they made it all the way to the top. Perseverance thrives in those souls. They can master any techniques necessary to turn from a sitting position. I can see this new lathe being a wonderful invention for people with limited abilities to stand for long periods of time. I've turned from a sitting position on a stool before (just to test myself), and think it's an awesome invention.

Clifford Mescher
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I spent a couple of years as a volunteer AB with a nature organization for paraplegics. A para or quad has to master many different techniques for many different jobs, and wood turning would require the same disciplines.
A group from the aforementioned organization climbed Guadalupe Peak (the highest hill in Texas), by using their arms, dragging their wheelchairs up, using ropes in their teeth and around their necks. But they made it all the way to the top. Perseverance thrives in those souls. They can master any techniques necessary to turn from a sitting position. I can see this new lathe being a wonderful invention for people with limited abilities to stand for long periods of time. I've turned from a sitting position on a stool before (just to test myself), and think it's an awesome invention.
Allen, that was an inspirational post.Thank you. Clifford

Don Orr
06-11-2008, 1:27 PM
I saw that review also. I happen to know the guy who did the review and strongly believe he gave it his honest opinion. He's not the kind of guy who dishes out baloney. He is a long time turner and teaches woodturning at SUNY Purchase. He was involved in a major motor vehicle accident in the last year or so and could probably use this lathe for himself. Luckily he's doing better these days.

Frank Kobilsek
06-11-2008, 5:38 PM
I'm am able bodied guy but when I saw the Oneway sit done lathe at the Ohio Symposium last fall I asked if I could try it. They had a chunk of spindle stock in the machine so I spent 5 minutes or so playing at the machine. As a spindle machine it was almost not noticable any change in my tool presentation or freedom of movement in the cutting action. My opinion is that as a bowl lathe there would be a learning curve(but I didn't try that). I was very impressed and think that for a turner for whom the pains of age are starting to take the joy out of turning it would be an outstanding addition to thier shop. My $.02 worth.

Frank

Doug Jones from Oregon
06-12-2008, 9:48 AM
For the most part, I'm using a wheelchair these days if I want to go anywhere. And, I turn on a lathe, sitting down.

What I do is transfer from my wheelchair to a draftsman style chair which allows me to adjust the height as needed and I can also move into place, 360 degree movement great. I do think that if I was into making large bowl or HF, I would be in the market for a dedicated bowl lathe for better access.

thumbs up to oneway for coming up with a solution for the chair bound folks out there.

Doug

jeremy levine
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
.... He is a long time turner and teaches woodturning at SUNY Purchase. He was involved in a major motor vehicle accident in the last year or so and could probably use this lathe for himself. ...

Bless the "creek" I didn't know such a well respected turner was only stones throw from home.

Clifford Mescher
06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Thank you all so much for posting. Going to look closer at Oneway. Clifford

Gary Herrmann
06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I have found sitting on a tall stool helps my tired back when turning. It works for me because I am tall. The idea of sitting in a chair sounds scary to me, however, if necessity mandates it give it some serious thought. Leverage and control are really important. Protecting yourself from catches and "airborne" projects are also critical issues.:confused::):eek::mad:

Kenneth, you can raise the lathe to get it to an appropriate spindle height. I'm pretty tall myself and have done that. But if a stool works for you, thats good too.

Scott Hubl
06-13-2008, 2:17 AM
Sitting at the woodlathe is nothing new.
http://www.tooltimer.com/images/barnes3-3l.gifhttp://www.tooltimer.com/barnes3l.html
One like this one was just recently up for auction, wasn't ebay , can't remember were now though.

curtis rosche
06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
the only thing i could think of would be if the spindle was to high for you when you sat in the chair, that would make an issue.