PDA

View Full Version : Machine Lock-out Padlocks

Lance Norris
06-10-2008, 5:15 PM
Does anyone have a good source for the odd sized padlocks for locking the "on" switches so unauthorized people cant use a tool? I am going to be away for a while and have visions of my wife cutting frozen chicken on my bandsaw:eek:. I need a padlock with a 3/16" diameter shackle for my Unisaw and 2 locks with 5/32" shanks. The shackle on the 5/32" locks needs to be 2" long.

Gordon Harner
06-10-2008, 5:31 PM
I don't know where to find locks as you describe however, I can suggest 2 other alternative methods. 1) Use a small padlock like those used for luggage and put the padlock through one of the holes in the connecting plug. 2) Lockout devices that are like covers can completely cover the plug and be locked. These are available from most safety supply houses.

Josiah Bartlett
06-10-2008, 5:38 PM
Turn off the power and then remove the breaker from the panel?

The best bet is an electrician's lockout tag from an industrial supplier. Some of them are essentially a padlock that you can put more padlocks through.

Lance Norris
06-10-2008, 5:42 PM
Use a small padlock like those used for luggage and put the padlock through one of the holes in the connecting plug.

If I cant find the locks I want, this will be the way I will disable the machines.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-10-2008, 6:03 PM
If it really worries you: Take any metal box that you can pad lock. Cut little slots for the cables in the interface where the lid meets the box and apply something to keep the edges from cutting the cords and lock the plugs in a padlocked box.

Wes Bischel
06-10-2008, 6:31 PM
Lance,
Try McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ catalog page 2877. There are items similar to what Josiah has mentioned.

Wes

Reed Wells
06-10-2008, 6:42 PM
Just curious Lance. Can't you just say " Hon, don't touch the tools!"

Lance Norris
06-10-2008, 7:42 PM

That just doesnt work with this one. Im also concerned about my stepdaughter. This will make my mind at ease.

Steve Clardy
06-10-2008, 9:30 PM
Grainger has a full line of safety lockout switches

Peter Quinn
06-10-2008, 9:38 PM
Have you considered hand cuffs for your wife while you are away? Thats what I do.

Jacob Reverb
06-10-2008, 9:41 PM

That just doesnt work with this one. Im also concerned about my stepdaughter. This will make my mind at ease.

Have you considered something along these (http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Electronic-Dog-Collars/Remote-Shock-Collars/HoundHunter-3200.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=data-feed&utm_campaign=google-shop) lines? Works like magic when my pointer ignores what I say...

John Ricci
06-10-2008, 9:59 PM
Would the "through the wheel and forks" type of bicycle lock with the long shackle work for you?:confused:

J.R.

Josiah Bartlett
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
You could also just remove all the blades and stash them in a locker at the airport.

Craig Summers
06-10-2008, 11:22 PM
You could also just remove all the blades and stash them in a locker at the airport.

Just dont try to pass "The Blade" under the bathroom stall in the airport :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Walmart carries suitcase/baggage locks. In most cases they will discourage casual use. Short of cutting off power cords, nothing will deter determined useage.

Frank Drew
06-11-2008, 8:20 AM
Can you cut the power to the machinery and lock the electric panel door?

mike holden
06-11-2008, 8:50 AM
Your tools in the shop are on a couple dedicated circuits, right? Then just pull the breakers for those circuits. If they are willing to put the breakers back in to use the tools, then nothing you do will keep them out.

Brad Townsend
06-11-2008, 9:27 AM
Go to the following page:

http://www.allpadlocks.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X380790;search=82;search=S afety%20Lockout;limit=category;v=2.0

Lots of choices.

Mike SoRelle
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Have you considered hand cuffs for your wife while you are away? Thats what I do.

You let yours out of the basement when you're not home? Strange..

to each his own I suppose :D

(I jest, I jest, I don't want her to beat me again)

Greg Magone
06-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Does anyone have a good source for the odd sized padlocks for locking the "on" switches so unauthorized people cant use a tool? I am going to be away for a while and have visions of my wife cutting frozen chicken on my bandsaw:eek:. I need a padlock with a 3/16" diameter shackle for my Unisaw and 2 locks with 5/32" shanks. The shackle on the 5/32" locks needs to be 2" long.

Lance, it sounds to me that if you have a stepdaughter that enjoys being around power tools, you have a great opportunity for some really great bonding time....some of my favorite family memories were working around woodworking tools with the adults around me. Take advantage of it!

Craig Summers
06-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Lance

I have been looking for something similar

I did see a Brass one with a 3/16" dia and 2" length at Mcmaster Carr
Catalog Page 2881 PN 1557A51

MasterLock (http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/residential/homeyard/&displaynav=&sub_cat_id=D7&template=style) does make its #7 series (steel) with 3/16 shackles

I have a 2 year old, and another one coming soon, so i have already taken safety precautions so they will not be able to be hurt. <edited by Craig to convey correct meaning, I must have been asleep last night>

Craig

mike wacker
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
This post is disturbing on several levels.

Greg Sznajdruk
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Have you considered something along these (http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Electronic-Dog-Collars/Remote-Shock-Collars/HoundHunter-3200.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=data-feed&utm_campaign=google-shop) lines? Works like magic when my pointer ignores what I say...

Jacob:

You are a wag, you really and literally had me LOL.

Greg

Craig Summers
06-12-2008, 1:01 PM
Lance might also look in the “suitcase/travel lock” industry for small locks

I found the following:
From Lewis N. Clark Company (they don’t give dia. dims)
Model 1226 Cable Lock (http://www.lewisnclark.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23&products_id=201), about $15 from these guys (http://www.4discounttravel.com/products/lewis-n-clark/1226-cbl-lock.html)(although out of stock)
If that locks at the tighest setting, this might be a reasable solution to lockout machine switches.

Jacob Reverb
06-12-2008, 1:18 PM
Jacob:

You are a wag

No pen intended! :D

Robert Dunaway
06-12-2008, 2:38 PM
This post is disturbing on several levels.

I'm with Mike on this one.

The ladies in your house won't leave your power tools be when you're gone?

Yank the circuits and padlock the panel.

Are you sure that they won't just leave your stuff alone while you're gone? The LOML wouldn't even think of touching my stuff (except for the cordless drills) without consulting me first.