PDA

View Full Version : chuck recommendations for Jet 1442

Matt Day
06-10-2008, 5:00 PM
I picked up my 1442 on Friday and got it all assembled, and just need to get some cutting tools. I'm going to get the Ben. Best set of 8 from PSI for a starter set.

While I'm ordering, I was thinking about getting a chuck. It seems the most recommended are the Oneway Talon and the SuperNova 2. But both of these have so many options and I'm not savvy enough with lathes to know what I need, I just know the TPI I need is 1" x 8. For instance, there are about 5 different Supernova 2's on Amazon. Could someone help me pick the right chuck with the right accessories? Price will make my decision.

Thank you,
Matt

Bill Bolen
06-10-2008, 6:10 PM
I use an sn2 and nova g3 on my 1442. I think Bernie has good things to say about the Grizzly chuck that is identical to the vicmarc but only $99. I Plan on getting one of those for Fathers Day. He says vicmarc jaws fit it to give you a wider varity. Soemone (can't remember who, maby highland) still has the nova g3 on clearance for $100 and the sn2 for $130 or so. Snagged one of each for myself. The 50MM jaws that come included with these 2 nova's will handle most anythng you will need. Special jaws avaliable when you are ready for them. If I find a link to the on-line catalog having the nova's on clearance I will re-post...Bill...
Found thm still in stock at lee valley.. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52389&cat=1,44047

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2008, 6:16 PM
My first chuck was the utility chuck from PSI. I have a Vicmarc VM100 and 3 Grizzly chucks which are the same as the VM 100. The Vic jaws will fit the Griz and they are $99. I have 3 different jaws on each. They work good and I have been running them hard for 1 1/2 yrs now.

David Wilhelm
06-10-2008, 6:23 PM
I got the talon and a stronghold. I use the Talon the most but I got a killer deal on teh stronghold at hartville tool. I've got jumbo jaws but don't use them that much. i have other jaws as well still in the box #2 i think comes with each. If i want a bigger tenon i just use the Strong hold changing jaws is a pain. I'd rather buy another body and change chucks.

Joshua Dinerstein
06-10-2008, 6:35 PM
I have 2 chucks. One is the Barracuda 2 from PennStateInd. I got it through Amazon with free shipping for about $130 when I got it. Came with IIRC 3 sets of jaws, though I have only ever use the stock ones that actually came on it, and the 1"x8tpi adapter and various other simple standards like the wood screw adapter for the chuck. It worked well, really well, for about 6 months and then started binding as I would open and close it. My has an open back and it would often fill with wood dust, wood chips and other assorted good and plenty. I would blow it out but perhaps not as often as I should have. I had also purchase with this a set of Cole Jaws which worked well for finishing the bottom of the bowl.

When it got sticky, I was in something of a hurry, so I went out and rand down to the Craft Supplies USA/Woodturners catalog (as I work about 25 minutes from them, and got an "apprentice chuck" from them. Just so happened to be on a sale week and I got a great price on it. It is so extremely similar to the PSI chuck that I can't help but wonder if it is made in the same place in China. :) I.e. all the jaws from the one fit but luckily enough I got a second set of the same things with the new Apprentice chuck. The biggest different is the internal mechanisms to open and close the jaws is covered and after what had happened I liked that thought.

I was mentioning it to a guy here at work who loves to work on machines and he suggested some PB BLaster from the local auto store to try cleaning the first chuck. I took it home and tried and it bingo. Much to my chagrin it went back to working like a charm. *sigh* So I semi-permanently mounted the cole jaws on it the PSI chuck and use the Apprentice for my daily turnings.

They both work great and I have a great time. YMMV.

I must admit I have thought lately another chuck with some of the other jaws for doing some chess piece turning would be a nice addition. So I am now quite curious about the Grizzly chuck and need to go check that one out. Of course nice mustard lathe at my house would be an even better addition! :)

Good luck with your choice!
Joshua

Randy Hoch
06-10-2008, 8:21 PM
Hi,
I also turn on a Jet 1442 since the first of the year. Mine works just great with both the SN2 and Nova Midi chucks. I certainly use the larger SN2 with larger pieces, and it is more convenient because it tightens with the wrench instead of the tommy bars. ( big convenience ) Although all the jaws work well with the SN2, I mostly use the powerjaws if I'm turning bowls.

I think you'll like the lathe. I think I'll likely upgrade down the road, but will use this for quite awhile until I become more proficient.

Randy Hoch

Bill Blasic
06-11-2008, 7:05 AM
As long as it was brought up about the Grizzly chucks does anybody know what the screw size is that holds the jaws on as I can't locate the manual that may tell the size? They worked fine till I wanted to change jaws, then two broke and one stripped out where the allen wrench fits. Oops 3 broke. These screws are about half the size of the screws used on the Nova chucks. Yes I could get replacements from Grizzly but I would like to try a better quality screw if I can find them.

Matt Day
06-11-2008, 9:01 AM
Thank you for all the replies! William, I think I'm going to get the SN2 from Lee Valley for $130. But unfortunately LV doesn't have the adapters. My 1442 has a 1" x 8TPI spindle. This is the correct one right?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Teknatool___Teknatool_Threaded_Insert___t ekna_inserts?Args=
This is enough to get me going using the chuck right?

I'm also going to pick up a face shield.

Thanks again!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-13-2008, 3:03 PM
Thank you for all the replies! William, I think I'm going to get the SN2 from Lee Valley for $130. But unfortunately LV doesn't have the adapters. My 1442 has a 1" x 8TPI spindle. This is the correct one right?
This is enough to get me going using the chuck right?

I'm also going to pick up a face shield.

Thanks again!Yes...Yes and good idea!:)

Brian Brown
06-13-2008, 3:55 PM
It worked well, really well, for about 6 months and then started binding as I would open and close it. My has an open back and it would often fill with wood dust, wood chips and other assorted good and plenty. I would blow it out but perhaps not as often as I should have. I had also purchase with this a set of Cole Jaws which worked well for finishing the bottom of the bowl.

When the PSI Sticks, just lube the gears. I use white lithium bycycle grease. Smooth as silk. the only thing I don't like about the PSI, is that none of the jaws are non marring. I always have a little clean up after my work comes off the chuck.

Bill Bolen
06-13-2008, 9:50 PM
Yes and yes... I got the pinnacle adapter from woodcraft ($5) and put it on the g3. Turns true and about $20 less than the Nova adapter. I'm sure while you are at WC you can find something to spend the $20 savings on!...Bill...

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
06-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Brian,
PSI now have a #2 "50 mm" dovetail jaw set for their "C" series. I have it and it looks just like my SN2 dovetail jaw. It is part #CJAW2DT.
Hope this helps.

Dr. R.

Chip Sutherland
06-22-2008, 7:00 PM
I use 2 SuperNovas and 1 Midi. I have 2 other suggestions:

1) get some nylon washer to put over the headstock threads. The sell them at Craft Supplies cheap. Without them you are gonna get a chuck stuck. They always come off eventually but I had to resort to some unorthodox procedures to get mine off.

2) get a good dust/air filtration mask. No sense breathing the sawdust.