PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Paper

Chris Hanson
06-10-2008, 1:59 PM
I have seen transfer paper referred to in a number of posts and was wondering exactly what its uses are and where it is available.

Living on an island in Alaska, I'm very limited on local sources and shipping is always a challenge!

I have been lurking for some time and have really learned a lot about laser use.

I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a used laser and I'm eagerly waiting for its arrival.

Thanks everyone for sharing your vast knowledge with the masses!

Chris

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2008, 2:20 PM
Transfer tape is a product used in vinyl lettering. You cut out the vinyl letters and they are still stuck to the backing paper. You need to be able to pull those graphics off and apply them to your job surface, whether it's a glass window, or a piece of plastic or wood.

So it's a way to remove the lettering and keep it in tact while transferring it from one surface to another.

On the laser, it's handy because it's not super sticky. So you can apply it to products that show a lot of damage when vector cutting (or flaming or smoke damage) and it'll protect the surface somewhat. So it's just an easy way to reduce the damage and clean up from vector cutting materials. Works on woods, plastics, etc.

Very handy to have and a real time saver.

You can get it from anyone that sells supplies to signs shops. Google signwarehouse or Fellers as some examples.

Chris Hanson
06-10-2008, 2:41 PM
I've used it and didn't even know it! We use vinyl lettering for exhibit titles, etc. at the museum I work at.

I'll check with our local sign company about getting some from them.

Thanks!

Chris

joe daley
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Transfer tape is a product used in vinyl lettering. You cut out the vinyl letters and they are still stuck to the backing paper. You need to be able to pull those graphics off and apply them to your job surface, whether it's a glass window, or a piece of plastic or wood.

So it's a way to remove the lettering and keep it in tact while transferring it from one surface to another.

On the laser, it's handy because it's not super sticky. So you can apply it to products that show a lot of damage when vector cutting (or flaming or smoke damage) and it'll protect the surface somewhat. So it's just an easy way to reduce the damage and clean up from vector cutting materials. Works on woods, plastics, etc.

Very handy to have and a real time saver.

You can get it from anyone that sells supplies to signs shops. Google signwarehouse or Fellers as some examples.

same here- we cover poker chip cases- engrave the case- then color fill the enraved area, remove the tape and she's ready to roll.

Larry Bratton
06-13-2008, 6:57 PM
I have seen transfer paper referred to in a number of posts and was wondering exactly what its uses are and where it is available.

Living on an island in Alaska, I'm very limited on local sources and shipping is always a challenge!

I have been lurking for some time and have really learned a lot about laser use.

I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a used laser and I'm eagerly waiting for its arrival.

Thanks everyone for sharing your vast knowledge with the masses!

Chris
Transfer PAPER is a product that can be used to transfer a laser PRINTER image to a substrate i.e. metal, plastic ceramics etc., in conjunction with a heat press.

My fellow Creekers have given an answer for transfer TAPE, which is a different animal from what your question was about. Hope this clears the confusion.