Droopy Pants
Rap Music
Coffee Can Exhausts
Senior Citizens going to the bank and post office at 12:00
Paying for Water (Bottled)
400+ HP Cars

Karlan Talkington
06-10-2008, 1:31 PM
Especially if the woman is a senior citizen sipping bottled water while in line at the post office at noon wearing droopy pants listening to rap music on her iPod. Her senior citizen boyfriend is revving up his 400+ HP car so he can hear his CC exhausts clatter.

That is definitely not something I understand. ;) And I've seen this, though they were not senior citizens but well past the age of appropriateness (not to say this is ever appropriate) and the car was no where near 400+ HP, it was just a souped up civic, but you get the idea.

Brian J Holmes
06-10-2008, 1:41 PM
Following the lead of another thread

Things I don't understand

Women
Droopy Pants
Rap Music
Coffee Can Exhausts
400+ HP Cars

I didn't get the bottled water thing either until I moved somewhere that uses ground water for drinking water and discovered just how bad it tastes. the rest I'm right there with you

John Schreiber
06-10-2008, 1:47 PM
There's so much I don't understand - and the more I learn, the more I realize how little I understand.

One which has been on my mind lately is old people. How is it that as people gain more experience of a complex world, they get less tolerant and more selfish.

Yah, and women too. But also most men.

Al Wasser
06-10-2008, 2:21 PM
When I got out of college everything was black and white or right or wrong. Over the years, things grayed a lot. Now some things are very black and white and other are quite gray. I guess you get my drift. One of the things I hate is loud unnecessary noise.

Paul Johnstone
06-10-2008, 4:29 PM
One which has been on my mind lately is old people. How is it that as people gain more experience of a complex world, they get less tolerant and more selfish.

Well, I like to give older people a little bit of slack. Many of them are lonely, even if married. Many really don't have anything other than death to look forward to. Even at middle age, we can cling to the hope that things will get better. When you get a certain age, it must be kind of depressing that things will only get worse. Not to mention that elderly people are generally seen as a nuisance and pushed aside in our society..

Watch when an elderly person goes into a restuarant. More often than not, the waitress assigned will roll her eyes, thinking she will only get a $1 tip.. Attitude like that is everywhere..

Clifford Mescher
06-10-2008, 5:09 PM
There is one misery that older people share. Lack of money. Method of collecting and distributing Social Security.Clifford

David G Baker
06-10-2008, 5:34 PM
Brian,
There is bad tasting well water and there is absolutely "great" tasting well water, it all depends on the aquifer and the type of minerals in the water. I have a well and I drink mostly bottled water cause my water smells like sulpher.
Bob,
I have been listening to country music for years and find quite a bit of the current country music sounding a lot like rap. Thank goodness of push buttons on radios.
Does anyone understand women other than other women?
Droopy pants. I figure if the person wants to look like a dork, its their problem not mine.
I had coffee can mufflers or something similar when I was a kid. They lasted about a week before installing a stock muffler. Couldn't stand the noise inside the car.
Hey, what's wrong with standing in line at the bank and Post Office at noon, I am retired so I can stand in line when ever I want. I don't really stand in any lines because I had enough of that in the Army. I bank on line and all packages mailed have pre printed postage on them from the Postal Internet site.
There are lots of things that I don't understand but being a senior citizen and on lots of meds I can't remember what they are. Maybe I should get in the line at the pharmacy, nope, can't do that either cause my drugs are ordered on line too.

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2008, 5:43 PM
How is it that as people gain more experience of a complex world, they get less tolerant and more selfish.(set curmudgeon mode to 'on')
Partly it's a question of age and experience: once you reach a certain age, you don't feel that you can afford to waste time sitting around waiting for young people to work through the answers to simple questions you figured out decades ago.
(set curmudgeon mode to 'off')

Scott Kilroy
06-10-2008, 6:36 PM
I still don't understand the appeal of white chocolate.

Jason Beam
06-10-2008, 6:39 PM
I am 100% in-favor of droopy pants.

Why? Because then I don't have to speak to the person to find out they're stupid. They communicate that information at a distance and I'm glad of it!

Beware the well-dressed idiot!

Brian J Holmes
06-10-2008, 7:14 PM
Brian,
There is bad tasting well water and there is absolutely "great" tasting well water, it all depends on the aquifer and the type of minerals in the water. I have a well and I drink mostly bottled water cause my water smells like sulpher.

I wish our water was well water, ours comes from a lake chiefly fed by the trinity river. Growing up at the base of the rockies I got spoiled by spectacular tap water from mountain springs and snowmelt. I'm a big fan of bottled water now

Wes Bischel
06-10-2008, 7:19 PM
Bob,
I'm with you on everything - but a 400+hp car is really really fun.;):D:D

Wes

Art Mulder
06-10-2008, 8:35 PM
Following the lead of another thread

Things I don't understand
Coffee Can Exhausts

Noisy motorcycles
People who carry a balance on their Credit Card
Why younger folks smoke(*)
Tattoos
Opera

ttfn,
...art

(*) I know it's very addicting, and I completely understand why older folks struggle with it. What I don't get is how anyone under 25 can be so stupid as to start smoking.

Steve Clardy
06-10-2008, 9:22 PM
I don't understand why people put up with 400HP when 600HP is better.

;):D:D

Richard M. Wolfe
06-10-2008, 9:43 PM
I don't understand why people have 'sport utility vehicles' when it's never done a utility job. Or why they have a pickup when the most they have ever hauled is a sack of groceries.

But then, nowadays neither do they.

Bill Cunningham
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Ya!! Like a Lincoln Navigator!! Why?

Jude Tuliszewski
06-11-2008, 3:25 AM
Why some people will jack up a truck, put on big mud tires, a brush guard, roll bar, but then laugh when you ask them the last time they went off road :p ?

Why it seems like the higher gas prices go the faster people drive :eek: ?

Why tax dollars can build a new sports venue, but the team owners get the millions from naming rights :confused: ?

Why a new sports venue can be built in less than a year with tax dollars but it takes twice as long to build a new school :mad: ?

Why people text when they could just as easily make a call and talk to the person :rolleyes: ?

Bonnie Campbell
06-11-2008, 8:36 AM
I don't understand cell phones.... you'll see people talking on their phones totally ignoring the person they're with.... watched a couple eating lunch together (?) as they both talked to someone else on their phone :rolleyes:

Bob Moyer
06-11-2008, 8:59 AM
Here are a few other things I don't understand.

$5.00 Lattes
People who pay to join a gym and pay someone to cut their grass
35 Checkout lines at stores and only 2 are open
Why autos don't have the gas cap on the same side
Why the people I work with can't make coffee after they empty the pot
Why people feel they can throw their cigarette butts out the window
How people can spend so much time on cellphones
Why people stop in the merge lane
People who do not know the words "Excuse Me" or "Thank you"

jeremy levine
06-11-2008, 9:50 AM
Why when people smoke in thier cars they open the windows, didn't they pay a lot of money for that smoke? Why don't they keep in their cars?

Justin Leiwig
06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't understand when it came acceptable that those with the least ability were deemed the best supevisors and managers (Dilbert Principle)

I'm still not really sure why people complain about $4.00 a gallon gas (128 oz), but buy an $5.00 mocha latte (10 oz), $4.00 cheeseburger (4 oz), $30.00 printer cartrige (1.5 oz), $1.25 pop (20 oz), or my personal favorite....$4.50 for a pack of cigarettes which they know will kill them!

When did it became popular to care about how others lived? Do I really care about the 10 million $ mansion and private helicopter that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie bought? Does it change my life? Does it make me a better person for knowing that?

When did it become ok to put self above GOD and Country?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2008, 3:27 PM
Women
Neither do they

Droopy Pants
Neither do the wearers

Rap Music

most of it isn't in English anyway

Coffee Can Exhausts
They are cheap

that's when they get their blood circulating

Have you tried the city stuff?

400+ HP Cars

More for me then.

Craig Summers
06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
When I cut it twice and its still too short :confused:

mike holden
06-12-2008, 9:42 AM
Jason -
you said: "I am 100% in-favor of droopy pants.

Why? Because then I don't have to speak to the person to find out they're stupid. They communicate that information at a distance and I'm glad of it!"

Actually, if you go to Colonial Williamsburg and look at the re-enactors, ALL the men have droopy pants. And all their costumes are tailored to fit!
The droopy drawer was to allow them to sit on a horse (or chair). Of course, the fashion included a coat with tails to cover the droopy drawer most of the time.

Today's modern fabric allows for closer cuts eliminating the droopy drawer look. And fashion changes quite often. So, whilst you may not like the look, wait a couple months, it will change.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
06-12-2008, 9:58 AM
(droopy drawer look) And fashion changes quite often. So, whilst you may not like the look, wait a couple months, it will change.Been waiting for over a decade for that one to go away.

It's self-perpetuating: suburban kids dressing like urban kids dressing like rappers dressing like gangbangers...now the gangbangers are dressing like suburban kids so they don't stand out.

Jason Roehl
06-12-2008, 9:58 AM
If only you guys knew the origin of the super-baggy pants... :rolleyes:

Greg Cole
06-12-2008, 1:01 PM
If only you guys knew the origin of the super-baggy pants... :rolleyes:

I know where you're coming from and it makes me laugh my butt off.
The hats cock-eyed with the tags still on them... one sock up one down....

Randal Stevenson
06-12-2008, 2:07 PM
I don't understand cell phones.... you'll see people talking on their phones totally ignoring the person they're with.... watched a couple eating lunch together (?) as they both talked to someone else on their phone :rolleyes:

LOL, I see this one ALL the time, and I say something that tends to cause them to both hangup. "Hey, you don't need to call them, they are on the other side of the table right now".

Now what about being on a cell phone when people are trying to help you (and there is a line behind them)? I've helped those behind them and said, we will wait, before.

I don't understand why people send their kids in to pick things up with an unsigned check or a credit card. Then kids are on neither, and signing teaches them forgery.

I don't understand why people will move into a place, WITH a shared driveway, and can't get it through their heads they can't block it. (I've been dealing with that for years).0

Joe Pelonio
06-12-2008, 3:10 PM
I have a good one for you. I just passed a neighbor's home and in a driveway was a truck from the company below. I think people with no time to take care of this themselves probably shouldn't have pets!

http://www.petbutler.com/pbx/

Lee DeRaud
06-12-2008, 4:03 PM
I have a good one for you. I just passed a neighbor's home and in a driveway was a truck from the company below. I think people with no time to take care of this themselves probably shouldn't have pets!I'm afraid to go to their "contest" page: I've got this image of a prize for largest...deposit.

Richard M. Wolfe
06-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah, meant to say....(and like Lee).....

[quote=Lee DeRaud;871588]Been waiting for over a decade for that one to go away.

Backwards baseball caps.