PDA

View Full Version : Which tool maintenance books or DVD's?

Wes Billups
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on any good books or DVD's that cover tool maintenance/setup. I’ve always felt I should be getting better results from my planer and bandsaw. I need to place an order with Lee Valley and was wondering if these two DVD’s are worth the price. I know there are some books out there that cover this too. If anyone can recommend a book, I’d appreciate it.
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/books/73l1015s1.jpghttp://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/books/73l1018s1.jpg

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Kyle Kraft
06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm a hands on type of a guy, so I would rather have printed matter. Seems easier to me to have a book on my bench than a tv, dvd player and a remote in my shop.

Brent Smith
06-10-2008, 1:35 PM
Hi Wes,

"The Care and Repair of Shop Machines" by John White is probably your best bet. There are lot's of others out there.

Wilbur Pan
06-10-2008, 3:39 PM
Second the recommendation for "The Care and Repair of Shop Machines" by John White.

Peter Quinn
06-10-2008, 9:36 PM
I have seen both of the Mark Dugenski videos on VCR as loans from my local library which thankfully has a decent wood working book and video collection. I don't know if they have updated the material for the DVD, but the tapes are very informative, though a bit dull. I can't tell you they are worth it as I don't know what they are charging, but I can tell you Mark Dugenski is a very talented wood worker and teacher, and the ideas presented in the videos I watched taught me a lot about machine set up.

If I had to buy one, I would say the band saw video is more valuable than the general machine set up video. Most of the things in the general machine set up video are IMHO better presented in issues of FWW and books by other authors, but the bandsaw video is a gem.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Wes,

I bought Mark Duginske's new book "The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw ". It is very well written, illustrated and a wealth of information. It is selling on Amazon for less than $14 right now. Excellent book. I paid more than that.