PDA

View Full Version : Hvac

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm in need of an HVAC contractor. There's a chance that my system just needs a charge, but also a chance it might need to be replaced.
- Any reviews or opinions on the different equipment makes? trane, carrier, american standard, ruud, etc.
- any thoughts on what to look for in an HVAC contractor?
- any experiences with pricing?
- anyone know a good HVAC contractor in southeastern massachusetts? :)

Brian Elfert
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
The installer is generally more important than the equipment brand.

A bad installer can wreck the best equipment.

Randy Denby
06-10-2008, 1:10 PM
I'm in need of an HVAC contractor. There's a chance that my system just needs a charge, but also a chance it might need to be replaced.
- Any reviews or opinions on the different equipment makes? trane, carrier, american standard, ruud, etc.
- any thoughts on what to look for in an HVAC contractor?
- any experiences with pricing?
- anyone know a good HVAC contractor in southeastern massachusetts? :)

-Several good brands out there...and I've installed most. The main thing if replacing unit, is to make sure you get a Copeland Scroll compressor with 10 yr warranty (Compressor only ) I have had good luck with very little warranty issues with Heil/Comfortmaker/ICP , Ruud/Rheem, Bryant,Trane, and Air Ease. I tend to stay away from Goodman Manufacturing unless customer just needs the lowest price. I really like the Ruud Rheem units for how quiet they run.It helps if you buy a unit that is stocked at the local wholesaler for warranty issues. Even tho Trane is manufactured here in Tyler...I have to overnight parts from Memphis....and they can be OEM specific parts that are very high.For example, tranes indoor fan motors can be outside the industry norm, forcing you to buy theirs, at almost 3 times the normal cost.
-make sure the contractor is licensed and insured. I believe the smaller owner operator is a good bet as their business is built on reputation...not numbers. Most tech's working for "the man" do as little as possible to get the job done and may not very much experience. But each has there qualities. A larger company has more depth if needed...and sometimes can get a better price, but dont usually pass it on to the customer.
-pricing? depends on the area.call around for quotes
-sorry, too far away
Randy
Air-Tech

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-11-2008, 1:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. ended up using a local contractor - the owner was actually on-site "helping" the installers - not sure they liked him being there :) they had the condenser all located and ready to be hooked up when he didn't like "the look of it" - it had a slight tilt to one side - and had them re-do it. fine with me, he obviously wanted it done right. system works great, and although the price was not what I was hoping, from initial call to having the condenser totally replaced and running, was about 4 hours. Not bad in the middle of a heat wave...