PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 10 in. Twin Laser MS

Dave Norris
06-10-2008, 7:49 AM
Hello Everyone,
I was using my new Kreg Jig over the weekend on some trim. The Kreg is awesome, and in one weekend has changed how I will look at doing my "everyday work". In looking at some of the videos that came with it, everyone seemed to make a big deal that your cuts had to be spot-on, as the pocket screws pull the joint very tight and any error is made very apparent. I can safely say that in my case, that is definitely true.

So, I began fussing with my PC 10 in. miter saw. Not sure of the model number. Used the framing square, got it where it seemed it should be, tightened the fence down, made a cut... same as it was, off by a little. More adjusting, still off a little each time, and if fact, almost off by the same amount each time. I'm not an expert at dialing in equipment, but this one seems extra frustrating. The problem seems to that the fence on each side is held in place by wo screws going straight down through each piece. I can get the pieces set right, but then tightening them down "twists" them out of place a little. I even tried setting them to take the twist into effect, hoping that tightening would actually pull them to the right spot. Nothing... Then I got the idea to position the fence and clamp it fast while I tightened it. Not much room to fit a clamp in, and the underneath is too irregularly shaped. I tried tightening fence down pretty good and "bumping" it into place, still with poor results. I even resulted to *gasp*, following the directions which pretty much said "line it up and tighten it down".

Does anyone have any experience with this bugger, or have any ideas? Left to my own devices I'll get it figured out someday I suppose... maybe when I learn how to weld aluminum...

Curt Harms
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Hello Everyone,
The problem seems to that the fence on each side is held in place by wo screws going straight down through each piece. I can get the pieces set right, but then tightening them down "twists" them out of place a little. I even tried setting them to take the twist into effect, hoping that tightening would actually pull them to the right spot. Nothing... Then I got the idea to position the fence and clamp it fast while I tightened it. Not much room to fit a clamp in, and the underneath is too irregularly shaped. I tried tightening fence down pretty good and "bumping" it into place, still with poor results. I even resulted to *gasp*, following the directions which pretty much said "line it up and tighten it down".

Does anyone have any experience with this bugger, or have any ideas? Left to my own devices I'll get it figured out someday I suppose... maybe when I learn how to weld aluminum...

I have the 12" version and got lucky--it was set up well out of the box. First thing, make sure your square is square DAMHIKT. The second thought is make sure there are washers under the bolt head and nut if there is one, that might help with the torquing. If the first two don't help, could you start out with the fence off by the amount it will move, so when you tighten it, it will be pulled into position? Probably best to attempt the third process on a day you feel lucky:o.

HTH

Curt

Matthew Voss
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Dave-

You could attach an accessory fence and then shim that square. I do this on all of my miter saws. Many saws have fences that are out of square, flex with pressure, and/or warp with changes in temperature.

Ray Scheller
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Ditto what Matthew said I don't have very good luck with fences out of the box.