PDA

View Full Version : New Compressor (gloat)

Don Abele
04-13-2004, 8:36 PM
Well, last week I got my new Ingersoll Rand compressor delivered and this week I finally got around to unpacking and setting it up. Delivery was interesting as the trucking company showed up with a 53' truck, no ramps, no liftgate. Luckily I was home for lunch when he showed up and the driver, me, a neighbor, and some guy driving down the street (he stopped when he saw us starting to unload it) unloaded the 300 pound thing from the back of the truck. :eek:

I left it bolted to the skid it came on as it will make moving it, when my next transfer rolls around in a year, all that much easier. I installed a 160 psi rated regulator (from Northern) with an in-line moisture separator. It also came with a oiler, but I wouldn't use it, so didn't install it. It took many tries to get all the connections leak free, especially those where it connects into the regulator body.

The whole thing connects to a 35 foot hose which runs from the back of the gar...shop...to the front where it connects to a spring reel with 35 feet of hose on it. I also have a 25 foot polyurethane coiled hose. With these I can get all the way to end of the driveway. I use the 35 foot hose, rather than hard piping, to make it easier when it comes time to move.

To test it, I fired up the sandblaster and went to town on a motorcycle frame for a friend at work. Completly emptied all 100 pounds of sand without a single drop in pressure :D My old CH couldn't go for more than a couple of mins. Compared to that oil-less beast, this thing is also about 50% quieter.

One thing I did note though was vibration in the motor. I took the belt guard off and inspected everything and all seemed ok. Since it was off and I had some extra twist belts left over, I installed one. After I retensioned it and tightened everything back down, the vibration was gone. She just purrs along now :p

Chris Padilla
04-13-2004, 8:48 PM
So what part did you get from Northern, Doc? Nice orange color I see! :)

Don Abele
04-13-2004, 9:03 PM
Yeah, nice of them to color such a low-keyed shade of orange. For what I needed it fit and the cost ($45) was right. It was a last minute buy as I did not know the compressor didn't come with one. So I had to go out this past weekend and buy it.

John Miliunas
04-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Nice score, Don! One 'o them is on my list, but not a high priority at this time. After seeing as many guys here with the IR's, me thinks that's the right way to go! I'm sure you'll get great use out of it! :cool:

John Weber
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
SWEET!!!!

Nice setup.

John